Regs in your carryon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry-on all dive gear except knife, batteries and fins. One out of three trips I get to unpack and repack for TSA inspection. If you travel outside the USA often, consider enrolling in the Global Entry program, Global Entry Makes reentering the US pretty smooth.

none in over 50 flights with them.......

Had my regs and computer seized at the Kuwait International Airport last fall. My heart feel to my knees. Was only able to get them back after speaking to a supervisor.

Only time I ever had issues. Never had problems in the Caribbean or states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have waited until Post #24 to offer a different perspective.

We travel by air, usually making multiple connections- a whole lot throughout the year.

If you are making a single-legged journey, you might be more inclined to haul a lot of weight with you. If you face wearing your carry-on bags through multiple plane changes, the lure of carrying them along dulls quite a bit.

Obviously, you're going to do what you have pre-decided to do, but....

1) They'll steal it for sure! Not much of anything gets stolen out of checked bags, and regulators with their gangly hoses are simply not high on anyone's list. Very difficult to smuggle out of a secured area, and relatively poor re-sale value. Play-it-Again doesn't even want them. What has value to you, at least in this case, has no value to perspective thieves. This is an urban myth that there is rampant theft- just aint happening.

2) Computers will lock you out if you leave them in unpressurized checked baggage! Not true, but don't baggage check a computer- not because it is going to get damaged, but because unlike a reg set, it does have a high value for resale, and it's easy to conceal.

3) Regulators must be carried because they are delicate creatures. :rofl3: You are sadly mistaken. You can do anything to them including pound nails. They'll come through it fine.

4) I pack my camera gear in a Pelican case and always carry it on. Good idea to carry cameras as cabin luggage, but what is the logic behind using a Pelican case? They're okay for day trip boats, but for a week-long resort based stay? Really? That thing takes up huge amounts of room for what you can put inside it, and it's very heavy. Pad your gear with t-shirts and carry it in a backpack.

IMG_5663-1.jpg

5) My luggage will get lost! Not if you tag it correctly, not likely at all. Do it three times per bag. It always comes through. Like this:

DSC_0051_2.jpg

6) My TSA Locks always disappear! You're always saying how dumb the TSA is- here's your chance to be a bit smarter than them:

P8091936_2.jpg

Dragging your regs with you, on your person or cabin baggage might save you a few dollars in luggage weight charges, but as soon as everybody follows Spirit Airlines and starts charging for cabin baggage, I bet these numerous similar threads will reverse-out and everyone will be wondering about how to check their precious, delicate regulators.

Bopping to Coz is one thing, but when you really break away and start traveling to distant exotic SCUBA locales, carrying anything as cabin baggage will strike you as a really bad idea.

Last edited:
Spirit Airlines need a solid ass-kickin' by means of a full-blown boycott, before anybody else even starts thinking about that move. Consumer response proved effective with Netflix, so why not in this case?? Won't take much, 20, 25% loss in bookings, and they'll get the message ...

I use a Dive Caddy and carry all of my equipment on. Saves money and I know it isn't banged around

2) Computers will lock you out if you leave them in unpressurized checked baggage!

that makes no sense to me, can you please explain why will it lock?

that makes no sense to me, can you please explain why will it lock?

Sorry- the intention was to write something absurd- I left out the follow up words, "Not true".

Try reading it now, after the edit! Thanks!

Spirit Airlines need a solid ass-kickin' by means of a full-blown boycott, before anybody else even starts thinking about that move. Consumer response proved effective with Netflix, so why not in this case?? Won't take much, 20, 25% loss in bookings, and they'll get the message ...

Spirit Airlines is merely leading the way by testing the waters.

Expect this and worse... from every carrier.

Sorry- the intention was to write something absurd- I left out the follow up words, "Not true".

Try reading it now, after the edit! Thanks!

now it makes sense, thanks

Spirit don't charge you for carry on, they just let you book a bag that you'd normally have to check for an extra fee if they have room. It's actually quite reasonable. In europe they demand a freshly harvested human kidney for every kilo you're over.

Regs are fine in Carryon, I've been asked what they are before but that's it. Can light has raised some suspicions, and the only thing I got sent back to check was a backplate once in spain.

Back
Top Bottom