Regs......which one to choose

Which Reg do you use? ScubaPro or Apeks!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I`m noticing that many of you on here are choosing the I dont care button. Please dont. I asked for your honest opinion, not stupidity.

I used an SP only once in 2000. I dive a DR Hurricane and I have a US Divers Conshelf for backup. So, call it stupid, but I REALLY DON'T CARE!!! :shakehead:

I`m noticing that many of you on here are choosing the I dont care button. Please dont. I asked for your honest opinion, not stupidity.

Out of curiosity, then why did you make 'I don't care' a choice???...btw, I voted SP....

I do not and will not dive a scubapro mk25 first stage but wont dive anything else besides a scubapro mk17, MK2 (deco gas only), or dive rite first stage although the apeks DS4 would be fine on a deco gas for me too. I own like 8 regs all are mk17 first stage accept 1 mk2 on my deco bottle.

as far as second stages are concerned I love the S600's and only own them accept 1 dive rite (deco reg) and one R190 for backup. The S600 works for me in the 36 degree water and the adjustment is necessary for my diving habits.

I hate octo's, I wouldn't ever drag one with me ever again....ever. yo dont need one and neither does your buddy. if you think your ever gonna need an octo spend a bit extra and make it into a 19-40 cubic foot pony setup. the reasons for this are all over scubaboard and their are proponents on both sides of the fence. I feel that octos are a total complete waste of money and dont dive them but I carry a redundant air source like a 19 or 40 or use doubles with dual outlet manifold and 7ft hose.

enough said.

I do not and will not dive a scubapro mk25 first stage but wont dive anything else besides a scubapro mk17, MK2 (deco gas only), or dive rite first stage although the apeks DS4 would be fine on a deco gas for me too. I own like 8 regs all are mk17 first stage accept 1 mk2 on my deco bottle.

as far as second stages are concerned I love the S600's and only own them accept 1 dive rite (deco reg) and one R190 for backup. The S600 works for me in the 36 degree water and the adjustment is necessary for my diving habits.

I hate octo's, I wouldn't ever drag one with me ever again....ever. yo dont need one and neither does your buddy. if you think your ever gonna need an octo spend a bit extra and make it into a 19-40 cubic foot pony setup. the reasons for this are all over scubaboard and their are proponents on both sides of the fence. I feel that octos are a total complete waste of money and dont dive them but I carry a redundant air source like a 19 or 40 or use doubles with dual outlet manifold and 7ft hose.

enough said.

Where did the octo thing come form, left field maybe. Are you trying to hijack this tread? lol

I voted "I don't really care". I must be stupid--I couldn't find the Atomic button.

I use the Mk25 and love it. Live and dive on the coast of NC, so ice and low temp is not an issue. Would buy another.

Cheers, Roadtrip

Apeks is an AL product, but with the stance of enforcing the MSRP and MAP pricing model. I would go with the ScubaPro. Also SP is the prefer choice as vacation rental gear all over the world. So if you need some work done to your reg on vacation outside the US, the diving outfit staff can most likely help you out with parts and service. The MK25 is a really good reg, so is the apeks.

Interesting argument. SP has the same basic sales model as AL. Granted - I don't like model, but they are near the same none the less.

Interesting argument. SP has the same basic sales model as AL. Granted - I don't like model, but they are near the same none the less.

But they do not really enforce it as badly as AL, and you can find SP parts more easily. It is the lesser of the two evils. I do not like their models, but I answer in the context of what the OP was asking, as I used SP rental eq for a while before getting my own. Just did not want to jump on the I don't care controversy that the OP created with certain comments.

To the OP, I have Apeks XTX100s and have owned ATX100s, ATX50s and TX50s before that. My dive buddy is head-to-toe Scubapro. Both companies make and sell fine regulators. And those aren't the only quality regulator brands, as you can see by some of responses that you labeled as "stupidity". :shrug:

Apeks is an AL product, but with the stance of enforcing the MSRP and MAP pricing model.
shoguy, you obviously don't understand the scuba business very well. Hint: Scubapro enforces MSRP (less 10%) and MAP for their products sold in the US of A and Canada, just like Aqualung USA.

If you are into the political debate, Apeks/AL is French owned. ScubaPro is US owned. For some it an issue to spend money supporting a US company to booster the economy, ie Johnsons Outdoors vs. AirGas, during the economic down turn in the US.
Were you somehow fooled into believing the Scubapro regs are all manufactured in the US, just because its a "US company"? It might be enlightening to visit your local Scubapro dealer and check the boxes to see how many Scubapro regs are manufactured in Italy or Taiwan. Also, I believe their Uwatec dive computers are manufactured in Switzerland. FWIW, Apeks regs are actually manufactured in the UK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom