regular BC's vs. winged BC's ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well he those Tech BC are really modular you can adapt the BC to the tipe of diving you are going to do; it means you can ad pockets, you also have many d rings where you can put bags, items and so on...
Some dive²r ( for example cave diver ) don't like to have many pockets so they take them of.

When diving ( you are right ) you should always have tables with you in case...
But in my opinion a dive HAS TO BE planned with tables and controled with a computer if available; if depth and/or bottom time are excided you will need to use your tables again.

You surely will be able to fit a pocket where it is the most usefull for you, and put your precious dive table inside with a little robe to secure it ( don't lose it )

Trie to memorise a few table values ( at least the max. non deco. bottom times )

Fa:):):)

I am considering buying a Ranger back inflation BC. Though I have not yet tried one in the LDS pool, I tried one on in the store. The weight pockets seemed to me to sit a little further back toward your back and not right on your sides like with a integrated-weight vest style BC. I thought their placement might help counter some of the face planting. Is this the case at all , or are the pockets not far enough to the back. Primarily, I want a BC that works well under water, but it would be nice to not have to fight face planting should I have to spend any time on the surface. I've never tried the back inflate BC's out in water, but I'm a strong swimmer and I'm wondering if it's really that big of a problem. Can you maybe pull your legs out in front of you a bit and lean back to counter it while your on the surface, or something like that?

Interesting term Zagnut.

It really isn't that big a deal. I noticed it a little the first couple of times I wore my BC but overcame it by adding extra weight to the rear trim pockets of my Sea Quest RDS. Also, the only time it's an issue is while at the surface. Just don't overinflate.

Find the "sweetspot" then just lean back and relax. I wouldn't trade mine. It's about the only "intitial purchase" piece of equipment that I got right :)

Originally posted by Zagnut
I am considering buying a Ranger back inflation BC. Though I have not yet tried one in the LDS pool, I tried one on in the store. The weight pockets seemed to me to sit a little further back toward your back and not right on your sides like with a integrated-weight vest style BC. I thought their placement might help counter some of the face planting. Is this the case at all , or are the pockets not far enough to the back. Primarily, I want a BC that works well under water, but it would be nice to not have to fight face planting should I have to spend any time on the surface. I've never tried the back inflate BC's out in water, but I'm a strong swimmer and I'm wondering if it's really that big of a problem. Can you maybe pull your legs out in front of you a bit and lean back to counter it while your on the surface, or something like that?

Like BLTN told you, it isn't that big of a deal. I don't even notice it anymore and I don't use any form of counterweight with my Ranger. However, if you completely fill the bladder, while on the surface, you'd have to work to maintain a head-up postion. The simpliest thing to do is to just not completely fill the bladder. But of course if you were unconsious it would be problem. So if you're worried about that then there are several things you can do. Buy and use a negatively bouyant tank such as a steel tank. Buy an accessory weight pocket for the BC, Zeagle makes several different styles of these (some ditchable and some not). Or buy a tank weight.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will Go with the Zeagle Ranger. If I'm ever unconscious at the surface, I figure that's what my buddy is for.

Zag...

With my Ranger BC, once I got my weights worked out (as in how much) my face planting problem went away just like Warhammer said (because I didn't need to be fully inflated to be on the surface). And like him, I don't use any trim weights anymore.

However, if you want, I've got a trim weight pocket that will fit on your tank band that I'll give you for the price of a few beers at the Scubadillo meetings.

Also, when you purchase your Ranger, be sure to get the yellow weight pouches. These are very nice to have since they keep the weights from sloshing in the pockets and it makes putting the weights in and out very simple.

--TexasMike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom