Regulator advise request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My scubapro apex gave out at about 600 dives and I need to replace it. Below is a list of those available at my local dive shop. Any comment as to what is your choice and why?

Atomic Regs, which all are balanced pistons.
Z-3 Black
Z-3 Black sealed
B-2 Yoke sealed
M-1 Gray Din Monel

SUBGEAR:/ SCUBAPRO
Balanced sealed diaphragm
S50
S30
Piston
S10
S100

SCUBAPRO:
MK17/G260 1ST STAGE BALANCED DIAPHRAGM DRY CHAMBER
MK17/G260 TACTICAL
MK25/G260
MK25/S600 LONG DEEP DIVES
MK25/A700

All advise welcomed.

I really like Atomic gear. I no longer dive Atomic because I couldn't find adequate local service. If you are comfortable with their service, Atomic is (IMO) the best option

Please define "gave out".

yeah, I have never seen or heard of a regulator just "giving out", there isn't much to them to fail beyond repair.... Also what is a scubapro apex.....

yeah, I have never seen or heard of a regulator just "giving out", there isn't much to them to fail beyond repair.... Also what is a scubapro apex.....

Then you never saw the coated aluminum ScubaPro first stages. Those were spectacular at "just giving out". NOt that all regulators don't die after a while but those died fast enough that even people who did not dive much had them "give out" on them.

who thought aluminum was a good idea? That's impressive, I'll have to find one of those and use it as my office paperweight. Right now that right belongs to an old tanked diverite computer

I prefer Atomic myself, and what I'd suggest from the above list will depend on what your priorities are.

If you think you might need a reg capable of handling colder water and/or nitrox mixes in the 41-100% O2 range, the M1 is your best bet...but it's expensive and has the lower-corrosion resistance of the chromed-brass 2nd stage valve tube found in the Z3.

If you prefer the best corrosion resistance and fancy swivel that will make the 2nd stage somewhat easier to set comfortably in your gob on the standard hose, the B2 is a good bet...but it's expensive, not O2 friendly above 40%, and the Ti valve tube in the 2nd stage is not as great at heat transfer as the chromed brass so freeze-up is somewhat more likely.

If you're strapped for cash and want an excellent reg that will breathe as well as any other Atomic reg, and handle cold water (and maybe have a 2nd stage swivel?), the Z3 sealed is the way to go...but there's no monel, so not O2 friendly above 40%, and same chromed brass valve tube in the 2nd stage as in the M1, so less corrosion resistant. If all you're doing is warm water diving, get the unsealed version because it's cheaper, easier to rinse/soak between dives, and is cheaper to service by about $40.

Re: DIN vs yoke...doesn't really matter, because changing between the two (not using an adapter, but just swapping actual parts) is cheap and easy unless you have a TI or SS first stage...then Atomic's $270 Titanium DIN fitting starts to look a bit silly.

who thought aluminum was a good idea? That's impressive, I'll have to find one of those and use it as my office paperweight. Right now that right belongs to an old tanked diverite computer

Scubapro has had a few bad ideas (that one was the Mk20UL). Funny, almost all came after Atomic went into business.

But most regulators have the potential for very long life as long as the manufacturer supports it. It make me wonder why shops don't sell more used regulators. Actually, I'm sure it is because mfgrs don't like it and shops would rather have the high profit of new regs. Yet USA car dealerships sell almost 3 used cars for every new car they sell. Makes sense in a free market.

My wife and I have the Z3 and we love them. Easy to breath at depth and the swivel on the second stage is nice.

The apex was boUght in 2005 and had 600 dives on it and was serviced regularly. I do not know the technicalities of the failure but know the first stage has failed and will not hold pressure (the shop hooked it up to a tank and over a short period of time, instead of holding steady the pressure changed. I think it increased but again not totally sure of the details. I just know it is unsafe to dive with.

I have been reading other posts and like the reports of the atomics but am concerned about the fact that they need to be under pressure to clean. If I had a pony this would not be a problem but I do nit want to carry the extra weight. Any input on this concern? Radtype having 2 of them have you had any problems? Anyone else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom