Regulator advise request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you have an apeks regulator take it to an aqualung/apeks dealer. a scubapro/atomic shop is not going to have access to parts for an apeks regulator in the unlikely event it needs more than just a regular overhaul.

Scubapro has had a few bad ideas (that one was the Mk20UL). Funny, almost all came after Atomic went into business.

But most regulators have the potential for very long life as long as the manufacturer supports it. It make me wonder why shops don't sell more used regulators. Actually, I'm sure it is because mfgrs don't like it and shops would rather have the high profit of new regs. Yet USA car dealerships sell almost 3 used cars for every new car they sell. Makes sense in a free market.
That may be because two of the top Scubapro engineers left and started Atomic Aquatics.

---------- Post added August 7th, 2014 at 11:34 PM ----------

I dive Atomic. My LDS uses the Z2x as their rental regs. The Z3 is the updated version. After getting a little windfall I splurged on the Atomic T3. But the Z2x/Z3 versions breath the same. The bigger difference is in the amount titanium used for the first stage. The second stages nearly identical and the performance is essentially the same except are about a third of the cost. I justified the cost by telling myself the lighter regs are more convenient and lighter for travel. They look pretty cool to and if I buy a rev for any of my kids it'll be a Z3.

If you have IP creep which is pressure steadily rising, that is a function of a bad HP seat. Perfectly normal way for a first stage to kindly inform you that it is sick and needs fixing. Now, your LDS is obviously not an Apeks dealer, so while they are probably certified to service Apeks regs, why would they want to charge you the $100 to service the first stage and make essentially no money on it, when they can charge you $800 and make almost 100% margin on it, oh AND switch you to their brands which they will tout as superior. On the inside of an Aqualung/Apeks first stage, aside from shearing off the DIN connector or cracking the yoke, there is nothing that can go permanently wrong on the inside of it. The shop can eff it up big time with the wrong tools taking the caps off, but even that is pretty difficult to do, especially since some of the Scubapros are almost identical in function, Mk17 etc.

I'll beat Aj, and give you $30 and pay shipping for that "not worth it" Apeks first stage. I take these things apart on a very regular basis and there really isn't a whole lot to go wrong. No need to change the second stages out, and if you want to keep it in the family, $300 for a new DS4 first stage from Apeks. You really need to go find you another shop that isn't going to rip you off though because that is all this one is doing and it sounds like there are absolute idiots in the repair shop.

If I were in your shoes right now, I would make a weekend or long day trip down to Allentown, PA and go see John at Northeast Scuba Supply
Northeast Scuba Supply
Bring your reg set down there and ask them to bench test it and service it. I am 99% positive that a regular service will fix your issue, but if not, they will at least have all of the parts in shelves on the wall to fix it for I can almost guarantee less than $200. If not, for under $400 they have apeks first stages with an AT second stage, and you can't go wrong with that. It'll be worth your trip down there

To be fair, it is possible for such a 1st stage to become "not economically repairable". But it would probably involve defective parts or abuse by the user or tech. And such a condition would have other adverse symptoms besides some IP instability. It would probably relate to extreme corrosion or tool damage.

To be fair, it is possible for such a 1st stage to become "not economically repairable". But it would probably involve defective parts or abuse by the user or tech. And such a condition would have other adverse symptoms besides some IP instability. It would probably relate to extreme corrosion or tool damage.

Thank you for understanding. For the others with your comments - I am getting the reg back from the shop and will possible send it to the show tbone suggested for a 2nd opinion, but I am not holding my breath that it can be fixed. I will definitely post back when I have more info about the damage.

If new is required I am tending toward the Atomic - but again will post my final decision. Thanks for your help!

Embarrassed to say, i've flogged my Atomic M-1 first stage relentlessly for three years, no servicing...every weekend diving. I'm sending it in at the end of the month, not because its breathing differently but out of sheer guilt.

I thought my explanation was clear enough but maybe not. It cannot be repaired? Servicing is not an option. It is unsafe. The cost to rebuild it is $400 so what is the point of that. I can get a new one for that price.

I have heard this so many times, it is really highly unlikely it cannot be serviced. I have over 50 regulators, many of them if not most gifted to me for exactly this reason. It usually cost me a few dollars to repair them, sometimes a few more dollars.

But, me, if you want new, I am a Scubapro or AL guy, nothing against Apeks either. Hog, maybe, we will see in 10 years if they are still around to provide parts. Not much into Chinese stuff if I can avoid it.

N

I've breathed the Atomics underwater. They breathed about as good as my HOG D1s and better than my instructor's Apeks. I haven't used a scubapro other than in the pool but didn't find them memorable.

Back
Top Bottom