Regulator choice for Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elubes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a choice to get a pair of Scubapro Mk25 EVO (or Halcyon H-75P) or Hog D3 1st stages. I need turret style stages. I'm really confused on what to get.

My LDS has Mk25s that they can service but the sidemount guys I dove with on a trip with (And these guys were really good) were using D3s.

Anyone recommend one more than the other?

Any insight would help.
Thanks!

The Mk25s make excellent first stages for Sidemount. They are a little more compact than the Hog D1. I haven't seen any Hog D3s, so can't compare those. I do mix and match Hog and Scubapro second stages with my Mk25s with no problems. They all operate in the same IP range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK25 is an unsealed piston, the D3 is a sealed diaphragm. Two completely different regulator styles. I would choose Hog D3 or wait another month until the D6 regulators come out which you'll be able to service yourself as well. Sealed Diaphragm is preferable for me in saltwater, but I can't use them for my regulators since I use Poseidons and they don't tolerate the IP boost of sealed diaphragms at depth.

I sidemount scubapro mk25s I love them grwat hose routing and hard to beat em in my opinion

Why do you need turrets? If you have been told you need to have a turret 1st stage for sidemount, that is not true. I've been sidemount diving for some time now and have primarily used fixed 1st stages. Still do. I actually prefer the fixed 1st stages because they keep the hoses in place where I want them unlike the turret 1st stages which rotate and can place the hoses in an undesired position.

The MK25 will limit how you can set up the cylinders in sidemount whereas the HOGs won't. Notice that piston 1st stages are designed so the DIN connection is set to one side of the body and diaphragm 1st stages have it more centered. With the piston you can only point the body of the 1st stage away from the valve knob otherwise it will interfere with accessing the knob to shut down. However, having it point the other way means you limit yourself on how you position your cylinders otherwise you may have the 1st stage sticking into your ribs. Not a comfortable way to dive.

That being said, piston 1st stages are better suited to sidemount passages that require pushing through gravel and silt. There's not a whole lot that can fail on them. On the other hand I have had a diaphragm reg begin bubbling on me after hitting a good size rock. I still use diaphragm regs though just because I prefer the outer design over the piston 1st stages. But it is a give and take.

The D3 has a form factor more similar to the MK25/pistons. Pros and cons with them. The other advantage of the turrets, especially the Hog D1, Apeks DST, etc is that they weigh quite a bit so help with trim vs the really light first stages. I notice a significant trim advantage diving Hog D1's than with the Poseidon first stages.

That said, I think a 5 port turret is the most versatile first stage providing the best hose routing for both single and twin backmount diving, and for sidemount the turret has some other advantages. For cold salty stuff, I'd still choose D3 over the MK25, but I would wait for the Deep 6 gear to be released at DEMA before purchasing.

If you use a long hose on the right hand tank, a turret on the first stage makes hose routing more manageable. It's also nice for the left hand tank, because it allows you to tuck the hose for the second stage down along the tank in a more streamlined fashion for transport. I use the center ports in the turrets for my inflator hoses. The first stage bodies are pointed inward toward my BC inflator and dry suit inflator (if present), and away from the tank valves.

The Mk25 is also fine for use in cold salty water. The piston is coated to prevent freezing under all but very extreme conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The D3 has a form factor more similar to the MK25/pistons. Pros and cons with them. The other advantage of the turrets, especially the Hog D1, Apeks DST, etc is that they weigh quite a bit so help with trim vs the really light first stages. I notice a significant trim advantage diving Hog D1's than with the Poseidon first stages.

That said, I think a 5 port turret is the most versatile first stage providing the best hose routing for both single and twin backmount diving, and for sidemount the turret has some other advantages. For cold salty stuff, I'd still choose D3 over the MK25, but I would wait for the Deep 6 gear to be released at DEMA before purchasing.

Tbone, I assume that's for heavy steels? (Trim)

Yes, a lot of guys use trim weights on their shoulders and the heavy first stages help to minimize that need

Different Sidemount harnesses have different provisions for adding weight. When I'm diving in fresh (cave) water with a full length 3mm, I only need about 4 lbs in the upper pockets of my Stealth, along with the light canister just above my butt D-ring. Cold water with a drysuit is a whole different story. I ended up getting a second harness to accommodate the extra weights and trim pouches that were necessary.

I prefer leaving my tanks fairly light so they can be unclipped and swung forward more easily.

Back
Top Bottom