Regulator dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep the V32 and add a premium full size 2nd stage.The Proton seems to breath a little harder than most limiting the 1st stage.I mounted an older Axis on both my V32 and V16 and it was much nicer breathing I M O.

jarmar:
I still have and use Scubapro Mk5. It was my first modern one hose regulator (besides twin-hose and some kind of "hand made" one hose I used at the end of 70). I bouth it at the beginning of 80. It used to work hard: murky, muddy water, under ice, etc. No freezing, no any problem. I just cleaned it with fresh water and once a while disassemble second stage to flush out sand. A 2 years ago I decided to do first general maintenance. Brought it to NYC Scubapro dealer and they exchanged o small bag of parts.
It still works perfect-the same like before.
So, when I decided to buy a new regulator, it was clear to me to pick up another SP: Mk25/x650. I knew they had some kind of problem with second stage diaphragm but the dealer didn't mention it and I liked SP. After a few dives up to 100 ft without any troubles they called me to exchange the diaphragm and I was even more happy with the regulator.
A few months later I found out a small air leak coming from RAPID INTERMEDIATE PRESSURE ADJUSTMENT-located under black plastic cap on the first stage. It was constantly leak on the surface and in the water. The dealer technician wasn't suprice. After a few minutes in the back of the store he brought me my regulator in one hand and a white plastic gasket in the other one. He told me a story about somebody in the Scubapro factory putting inside the extra small white piece. Some of Mk25 come with it, most of them without it. He just threw it in the garbage. Mk25 is still my main regulator, no more leak, but when I am something about 150 ft under I start thinking who is right: the engineers and technicians at the SP factory or the guy from NYC shop. It gives me extra thrill.
I used to like SP. Not any more. I look for Apeks.
Any similar experiences?

It seems to me that the incident happened after the 100 ft. dive, yes, I would also like to know. I am using this page for any kind of recall: http://www.cdnn.info/recall/recall.html

Does anyone knows another other sources of recall/error report info?

DA Aquamaster:
I have never had a Mk 25 freeze in low to mid 30 degree water, but I have had buddies the same dives with me who did (on 5 occasions).

I see it as more of a problem with the S600 second stage with the G250. Perfomance is otherwise idnetical. The S600 offers a smaller case and appeals to the small is better crowd, but the extra size of the G250 allows the use of a large ad more responsive diaophragm and the very minimal extra weight is offset by the extra displacement so the jaw fatigue argument is bogus.

The Mk 25 does offer nice hose routing for singles, but the Mk 17 is superior for hose routing on doubles as you can route the hoses straight down. The sealed Mk 17 design is also bullet proof in cold water and has survived max flow rates at 165 feet in 35 degree water for 200 minutes (the end of the test) without freezing up.

The 177 SCFM flow rate is also more than adequate for any technical or recreational purpose and in my opinion, my finely tuned D400's breathe as well or perhaps even better on a MK 17 than they did on a MK 20 or Mk 25.

The staff discount is a possibel issue thoug as many shops do the staff discount to get the staff to use high end gear. If the shop owner will throw you the same deal on a Mk 17 G250 or Mk 17 X650, jump on it.

So in a way Mk 17 is designed to resist cold water and/or polutated water because it's sealed, then Mk 25 is designed for warm water, is that correct? It's not like design issue or other technical issue like Mk 20, of which one magazine reported that it had problem on resisting corrosion (diver magazine 2004): http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0304divertests.shtml

For the same magazine when Mk 20 was introduced, it's still the best new commer, but by 2004, the issue was reported. So it may take some time to make sure how good a product is... another thread was talking about X650 has something needed to be changed, is that a real issue?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom