Regulator for Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woops! Some how ended up with a double post there.

The MK11 is not the "bottom of the line" SP, the MK2 is. I would go for the MK2, and pair it with an unbalanced 2nd like the R190, or the ultimate would be an old 109 metal case 2nd. The MK2 is so simple and rugged that failure is almost unheard of, and it can tolerate flooding much better than diaphragm 1st stages, which is nice for a pony bottle. Since the MK2 is unbalanced, if you pair it with an unbalanced 2nd stage it will start to breathe more stiffly around 4-500 PSI, which can give you a warning that your pony is almost empty. That would make using the pony without a SPG (or with a button SPG for checking it before the dive) more feasible, IMO.

The MK11 is not the "bottom of the line" SP, the MK2 is. I would go for the MK2, and pair it with an unbalanced 2nd like the R190, or the ultimate would be an old 109 metal case 2nd. The MK2 is so simple and rugged that failure is almost unheard of, and it can tolerate flooding much better than diaphragm 1st stages, which is nice for a pony bottle. Since the MK2 is unbalanced, if you pair it with an unbalanced 2nd stage it will start to breathe more stiffly around 4-500 PSI, which can give you a warning that your pony is almost empty. That would make using the pony without a SPG (or with a button SPG for checking it before the dive) more feasible, IMO.

I stand corrected. I have the MK2Plus/R295. (Won it in a raffle, so I didn't do any pre-purchase research.)

Thanks for setting the record straight.

This is a timely post!

Let me ask - if the pony was to be used in "colder water" (38 degrees) instead of Florida would anyone change their recommendations?

Also would you use your existing Octo and pair it with another 1st stage and put it on the pony?

I'll let someone else field the cold water question but as to migrating your octo you should still have a redundant reg on your primary tank in case of an OOA situation with a dive buddy. Theoretically you could give them the octo on the pony but I guess there are still scenarios when it's important to have all three regs. My 19cf pony has a sherwood Magnum on it and I practice using it from time to time. I dive with it always to remain familiar with my gear (like the other guys said). Invert mount so I can reach the valve easily was my choice as well.

Small hijack --> The scenario I practice most with this tank is ascending from 100'+. I want to make sure that the 19cf tank has enough air for me to make that ascent with 8 min worth of stops along the way (it does). So here's my thought lately - if diving with a small group in deep water and we're starting to ascend say I have ~800psi in my hp100 but other buddies have sucked down more and could run into ooa on the ascent. Is there any argument against me switching to my pony then and leaving my tank ready for them should they need it? Is it pointless excercise? My only thought as to why this would be good is that I can see my SPG on the HP100, not on the pony so I can't as closely monitor how much air is left in the little guy.

One of a number of problems with moving your octo to your pony is that means you have to carry your pony on all dives.

>>>Small hijack --> The scenario I practice most with this tank is ascending from 100'+. I want to make sure that the 19cf tank has enough air for me to make that ascent with 8 min worth of stops along the way (it does). So here's my thought lately - if diving with a small group in deep water and we're starting to ascend say I have ~800psi in my hp100 but other buddies have sucked down more and could run into ooa on the ascent. Is there any argument against me switching to my pony then and leaving my tank ready for them should they need it? Is it pointless excercise? My only thought as to why this would be good is that I can see my SPG on the HP100, not on the pony so I can't as closely monitor how much air is left in the little guy.

Personally, I would not, but I sling my pony and can hand it off if needed. If your pony is hard mounted to your tank, it might be different.

Back
Top Bottom