Regulator for waters around freezing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am wondering what regulator would offer the best protection against freezing :confused:

Typical usage scenario: Air temperature -10 C / 14 F. Water temperature +1 C / 34 F. Could be colder.

Could be two dives with the warmest place during surface interval beeing in the water.

I am wondering what regulator would offer the best protection against freezing :confused:

Typical usage scenario: Air temperature -10 C / 14 F. Water temperature +1 C / 34 F. Could be colder.

Could be two dives with the warmest place during surface interval beeing in the water.

I live in MI and have been Ice Diving a few times. I did it with my Zeagle DS V and also a Zeagle Z Flathead 7 and didn't have a problem with either. My LDS recommended Zeagle for cold and warm water diving. I cannot comment on technical reasons as I am no an expert on the subject, but if you call Zeagle they will explain it to you.

I love my Aqualung Glacia. Taking it out Saturday into Lake Michigan. Expecting temps in low 30's. Never had a problem with it.

Never had a problem with my Scubapro MK 17 1st and G250V in similar conditions. Some of my dive buddies have had excellent luck with Sherwoods Brut series. My suggestion is to go with a LDS close by for servicing and if you have the luxury of several in your area check them all out.

Apeks have a good reputation for cold water performance and I have used mine in the conditions you describe without a problem.

Last edited:
I have used sherwood oasis, scuba pro MK17/g250, and HOG D1 cold / d1 and never had a problem in freezing temps.

I have a Genesis 2000 made by Sherwood, great reg, great in cold water, also just bought a Atomic z2 according to the manual good down to 50 degrees, last dive it was 38 degrees and I had no problems with my Atomic, I also carry a pony bottle with the Genesis 2000.

lee

I tried my Atomic Z2 without the cold water kit in Lake Millbrooks VA. It was 43 degrees and did not freeflow. I will be getting the cold water kit installed before I do my ice dives. With the ease of breathing and overall performance, I am convinced that Atomic makes the best regulators. I have heard very good things about Apeks too.

I have a Mares Abyss and Proton Metal, and most of the people I dive with have these regs. They don't need a cold water kit. I have never had a freeflow in 11 years.

I routinely use a Mares V42 Proton Metal reg for cold water diving. The first stage is not sealed, and has been used for numerous ice dives without any problems. I have also used two Mares V16 first stages with Proton LE Metal second stages on my doubles under the same conditions. Those regs are also unsealed.

Several of my dive buddies use Mares regs as well, and have yet to have any issues. One of my buddies uses a Phoenix conversion of an US Divers DA Aquamaster, and it has work flawlessly under such conditions. My own Phoenix unit installed on a Voit Navy unit has also been successfully used for such cold water dives.

Cold water diving techniques are as important as proper equipment choices.

Greg Barlow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom