Regulator for waters around freezing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"the most probable freeflow situation is near the surface, right?"

Wrong. Maybe. The duration of the dive increases the probability of free flow in some tests, as does increased air usage/density (depth). See the link below. The second stage will probably initially start to warm up in the water (air temp << water temp), but then it starts too cool again when more and denser cool air goes through it. As humidity gathers over time, ice starts to form.

Best to keep the breathing gas pressure drop and gas consumption and depth at minimum and have critical second stage parts warmed by heat conducted from exhaled air or surrounding water. Adequate insulation will obviously reduce gas consumption as less work is needed to keep the body warm.

This is an extremely interesting and very credible paper discussing cold water diving:
"Proceedings of the International Polar Diving Workshop"
URL: Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/5002

Lots of highly interesting stuff about insulation and numerous other issues, and some regulator recommendations on pages 41-44.

And again we have a Poseidon at the top. The Sherwood Maximus/Blizzard are also mentioned in addition to a (very) few other good ice dive regulators (such as Apex XT50 - but not the "improved" ATX50).

So, there I have a few good candidates.

I'll try to find some reviews of newer regulators next.

Last edited:
I routinely use a Mares V42 Proton Metal reg for cold water diving. The first stage is not sealed, and has been used for numerous ice dives without any problems. I have also used two Mares V16 first stages with Proton LE Metal second stages on my doubles under the same conditions. Those regs are also unsealed.

Several of my dive buddies use Mares regs as well, and have yet to have any issues. One of my buddies uses a Phoenix conversion of an US Divers DA Aquamaster, and it has work flawlessly under such conditions. My own Phoenix unit installed on a Voit Navy unit has also been successfully used for such cold water dives.

Cold water diving techniques are as important as proper equipment choices.

Greg Barlow

I dive the 42 proton metal aswell with the cold water dry kit with no problems down to 3degC

jason

In the workshop proceedings the following regulators are recommended:

Category A. Acceptable for 29F with minimal free-flow risk:
Poseidon Xstream

Category B. Acceptable for 29F with minor free-flow risk:
Apeks TX 50
IDI Seaira Spirit Airtec
Mares Proton Ice Teflon V32 CWD

Test conditions:
- Ventilation 62.5L/min for 30 min at 40msw and 61msw
- 50L/min for 20 min at 40msw and 58msw with deco stops 12/9/6/3

The sherwood regulators that fared well in an evaluation in 1995 were not resubmitted for this particular test.

A bunch of caveats will follow on p.42.

Scubapro MK17/G250V if diving really cold/Ice waters is an awesome reg. Also the Atomic M1's work really well, But if I was diving in ice water or freezing I would probably Take the MK17/G250V. I have had both regs in waters 36-38F with surface temps around same with no Issues

No mention of the Oceanic Delta 4.x / FDX-10? I've got that rig and love it. Been under the ice and in low 40's water regularly and have never had a free flow or an issue.

Also - in 2008 "The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced its been picked as their new regulator pick. NOAA's new rules and regulations for government divers One major change was giving the boot to all regulators Coast Guard divers had previously used for cold-water diving. After testing of multiple regulators, NOAA found Oceanic's Delta IV to be the most reliable.
It consistently came up first for meeting all our criteria, and it won't freeze up in cold water," says Lieutenant Eric Johnson of the NOAA Diving Program. Now NOAA requires its divers to use that model when diving in water temperatures of 50 degrees or less. The Navy's experimental dive unit is using them, too."

My pick would be definitely AquaLung Legend Glacia. I have dived the old Cousteau and the new version in waters from 0-4 C and air bellow -10 C and never had any problems. I also recall seeing test done by Russian Navy where the Glacia was only regulator not failing in -2 C water. I couldn't find the article anymore, so it's all hearsay...

On the contrary I've seen more than couple factory tuned Apeks reg's failed in similar conditions. The problem is that most tests only consider breathing performance as the only performance metric for the regulator. Hence the manufacturers optimize that and the result seems to be easy failing in cold water. With Apeks all the problems have manifested in sub 25 meter depths which is not very nice.

All the problems with new Apeks regs have led me to believe it is best to service and tune the reg after purchase before taking it into cold water. Loosing a bit of low breathing resistance in exchange with more reliable function.

Back
Top Bottom