Regulator Geeks 3: Reg Performance at Max Safe Gas Density

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob,

Great information. It is nice to see that the results are essentially regulators are fairly equal (my conclusion) which is what I expected. The servicing/tuning is key.
Yeah, modern gear (and some old classics) that pass CE EN250 all share a basic minimum capability which 120 feet isn't going to stress.
It's only geeks like us who hot-tune their gear or tinker with the extremes of testing that get to see where the variances are. All very reassuring for the average diving population (despite how bad some service is). And also a bit of a warning to those of us who like to tinker.

I think we'll tackle that mysterious Poseidon stuff for Reg Geeks #4 after Christmas, and then finally get around to the center-balanced Pilot, D-series and Drager Shark next spring.

Thanks to all who stayed late. I'm missing the audio from the questions, but the rest recorded just fine. I'll hope to have that up on YouTube in a couple weeks.

I like my Regs hot, I like and prefer when I can tune them to tip over into positive pressure (freeflow, except controlled) the factory engineers are getting way to good at preventing that which is why I didn’t like the 620ti, I can get an old plastic barrel 600 to scream but not the 620 but it’s was a sample of one. The D420 I can get to just tip, everything else about it is so smooth and reliable that it has taken the favorite spot. Sherwood SR’s are very disciplined and don’t like tipping so I may start messing with spring rate by removing a coil and stretching it back to original length.

what a daunting task keeping track of so many Regs on a single dive but it’s the only way to have nearly the same conditions in a real world test.

thanks again Rob

Life getting in the way again, but now that I know the toys, the gas consumption and the deco are all manageable, I hope to go back for a repeat in the spring. We'll add the C370 and maybe do it blindfolded, as well as add some other tests with varying both knob and Venturi.
Feeling the slight differences as well as those two temporary failures was fascinating!

Life getting in the way again, but now that I know the toys, the gas consumption and the deco are all manageable, I hope to go back for a repeat in the spring. We'll add the C370 and maybe do it blindfolded, as well as add some other tests with varying both knob and Venturi.
Feeling the slight differences as well as those two temporary failures was fascinating!
Any planes for first stage comparisons? That's not as easy. I know some dive sites in my area that would be perfect for testing, but that would involve 1 cylinder per first & second stage. I do have a Santi blackout mask for you, and 11 HP100 cylinders if you ever wanted to do the whole thing in the tropics of Seattle.

Thanks Rob, really enjoyed your zoom presentation as always. would there be any interest in using my 156CE in your spring test session?

Any plans for first stage comparisons?
I don't think that anything we do in the water will be as slick as the CFM measurements mfrs do on the bench. I'll take Scubapro's word for it that they can supply 100+ young divers in a swimming pool off a single Mk25. I still won't dive an unsealed piston (though I used a Mk25 and a Mk19EVO for the test in Key Largo :eek:)

Interestingly, after @Luis H 's comment about supply pressure during my demo of dynamic IP, we chatted after the seminar. We retested the MK20/C370 with an input of 600 psi, which dropped to 300 psi during the huge purge from the C370. Interesting to see that a Mk20 with a new compound piston dropped to 80psi dynamic IP during purge. The flow from the C370 is so huge, the MK20 couldn't quite keep up at 300psi input.

Thanks Rob, really enjoyed your zoom presentation as always. would there be any interest in using my 156CE in your spring test session?
Happy to test it. I bet it'll be stellar, with that big exhaust valve.
We'll stay in touch.

Thanks for last night's fine dinner theater -- valuable as always.

When you tackle those very odd Poseidon regulators, on the next Regulator Geeks, let me know if there's anything you'd like to futz with, say an older model, that you may not immediately have on hand . . .

Hi Rob, will this be posted on your you Tube site? https://www.youtube.com/@robertsingler7258/videos
Zoom here is not working very well , someone will say "works well for me in Oz" I am sure, not for me.
Thanks.

Edit: All the subs you see are for my wife, I sign in as a guest and watch all your stuff.

Back
Top Bottom