Regulator hose damage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enigmata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I searched the forums for this and found similar answers, but none fitting my exact situation so I've decided to post here.

I have a Cressi-Sub XS2 regulator set that was recently dropped on the floor of a boat when taking it off a tank. The first stage was chipped a bit to reveal the brass underneath and the rubber of the octopus hose where it attaches to the first stage was torn about 1/4", beneath the tear I can see the chrome of the hose crimp.

I took it on two dives to 60ft following the drop and noted no leaks or air escaping from the reg. I also submerged the reg in freshwater with dust cap on and didn't see any bubbles escaping. Should I try to get the hose replaced now or is it fine until I get the regulator serviced next? Thanks in advance.

The hose is probably okay, that being said, I'd get it changed. "Probably Okay" really sucks with a blow out at 60 feet. Better safe than sorry.

Think of it this way....if it is close enough to the time where you would have the reg serviced then cut your loss and have it done early and get the unit repaired and serviced. If it is not close just get the hose fixed as dealing with something happening underwater and ruining your dive wouldnt be worth it to me.

I have a Cressi-Sub XS2 regulator set that was recently dropped on the floor of a boat when taking it off a tank. The first stage was chipped a bit to reveal the brass underneath and the rubber of the octopus hose where it attaches to the first stage was torn about 1/4", beneath the tear I can see the chrome of the hose crimp.

It sounds to me like you are describing a tear in the hose protector rather than the hose. If that is the case, I would not replace the hose.

Trying to evaluate hardware problem based solely on a sketchy description isn't 'best practice'... take the rig to a dive shop and ask a certified tech to look at it. They can see things that seven lines of text won't show... if there's something to see...

Thanks for your input. It turns out that the hose protector was ripped and the hose itself was intact. I decided to pick up a spare hose anyways just in case.

Thanks for your input. It turns out that the hose protector was ripped and the hose itself was intact. I decided to pick up a spare hose anyways just in case.

A cheap spare will out perform the best warranty when it come to avoiding missed dives.

a new l.p. hose is about 20 bucks, change it because you can dump a tank of air way faster from a broken l.p. hose than a h.p. hose anyday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom