Regulator Prob "in my head"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On S-drills/valve drills breathing down a reg will not let water in through the second stage unless you press/bump the purge button after removing it from your mouth. It may get bumped/pressed while it's off, but that's not part of the drill :wink:

Prior to going to the reg again, the gas (should) be on so hitting the purge is a non issue at that point (and is preferred anyway as it is the method of checking the reg is on prior to going to it).

If ya muck up the drill, well then it's all bets off :)

As noted, emptying the hose not only ensures you've properly located the reg leak (It will stop) and also will allow for (a chance at) re-seating a first stage o-ring. Of course this may allow some water in through there.

In reality if we had a first stage o-ring leak pre-dive (especially yucky saltwater) we would ascend and reset there so as to be as kind to the gear as possible. We've done it here in fresh water while underwater however.

regards

EDIT: Ah I see handsome Jeff beat me to part of it. :D

Scuba_Steve:
EDIT: Ah I see handsome Jeff beat me to part of it. :D
Yes, probably because I cheated and didn't type as much.

And also I'm 3/4 through my day and I'm already pooched, whereas you've just starting your day :wink:

have an XL Timmy's Dble/Dble for me.

Scuba_Steve:
And also I'm 3/4 through my day and I'm already pooched, whereas you've just starting your day :wink:

have an XL Timmy's Dble/Dble for me.
Hah...I'm hung over. To much partying. Water is the name of the game today :wink:

I was taught that it´s not a good idea to "empty the hose".

thanks....I just got off with my SP guru repair guy---30 years of being with SP and back in the day when the repair tech certificate meant more. His bench looks like an operating room.

I could get something wrong here but I understood him to say this:

In a balanced reg Mark 25 or 20? 1st stage, I would not do harm by emptying the hose UNLESS I continued deeper (like got on somebody's octo) because the tiniest amount of gas would keep the water from flooding.

He says that after a year the lubricants can cake up and make me notice a slightly impaired seal. He says the inards are brass covered chrome and this precipitate can wear the chrome off and the brass will corrode. He says it won't fail but it might become untuned.

He also set me straight on my Halcyon inflator....oh boy. Busted my chops for soaking in the toilet bowl cleaner. Busted my chops for injecting Silicone (not EAN compatible, he says) He recommends "Chrystal Lube", which is EAN compatible.

(Halcyon never sent the part...it is never-ending.)

MIkey recommends the best inflater out there he says is the balanced SP one and he plans to see if it will fit.

I continued to pick his brain....

He says don't soak regs in a deep bucket. (ATM change)

He says my first stage needs to soak an hour! what?? I never do that.

he recommends flushing the mouthpiece "blasting" it with the hose. (no purge!)

all this time, I have been dunking and swishing a few times.

Then he had a fun rant about how bad it is to have a bungeed reg and a long hose and the whole concept of switching in a distress situation.

He thinks that reg tuned not to free flow "pointing upward" on a bungee will deliver gas like ca-ca. Then he said he can prove wings have more drag and he can prove it with dye. I invited him to SB! I might even pay him, he can certainly hold his own. Very smart and very opinionated, so he is fun.

Thanks Scuba Steve.

catherine96821:
He recommends "Chrystal Lube", which is EAN compatible.
Well, I just lost my confidence in him.

do it easy:
So what's better than Crisco-lube?
Its not required for a BC inflator.

Its not going to see high % of O2. Regular old Silicone is fine.

So his "rant" tells me he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

I knew a guy that used chrystolube on his dryglove rings. Talk about an expensive lube... I think he just used it for everything.

Catherine- you are still using that SS Halcyon Inflator? I do not understand the attraction to those- anytime I hear about them, it's either because they failed or someone has found some clever, time consuming procedure to fix it. Meanwhile the plastic ones last for years without maintenance. Everyone cuts the balls off of the pull dumps, why don't they cut the SS inflator off the Halcyon wing? What advantage does the SS inflator offer that can not be had with a plastic inflator that makes it worthwhile to put up with the maintenance? I'm sorry to rant about this but after seeing enough threads about this, you would think that the kids on the playground would know about this already.

hey...I ordered a new one like two weeks ago! They said it would be free, no problem! Do you really think I am not trying??? Hawaii is tough. It takes ten times the effort here, believe that.

It never came. maybe they just forgot me.

Jeff, I stuffed it with camera silicone using the syringe like Ken at Halcyon advised.

It did work. I am just getting him to switch it since I am making the service trip.

And I might try out the SP650 for a few months. And I bought a gauge from Soggy that I have not put on because I have to remove the SP mini gauge console...just too complicated. Everybody says it is easy but I can't be doing all this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom