Regulator Service Costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howie411

Contributor
Reaction score
What does the typical price of a regulator service run? I just got back from my first service and it was about $85, grant it all parts are covered by the warranty, but what is this $85 really covering?

What does the typical price of a regulator service run? I just got back from my first service and it was about $85, grant it all parts are covered by the warranty, but what is this $85 really covering?

When I take my Scubapro reg in each year the parts are free and if I remember correctly, the labor is $40. I'm pretty sure I paid $80 for my primary and octo.

Price of 1st stage and two 2nd stage rebuild kits: Around $60
Price of specialized tools and books for reg repair: Around $300

Knowing your regulator was serviced properly because YOU did it? PRICELESS :D

Cost of regulator service varies by region. What you paid sounds about average.

What you should be getting during a service?

1. Pre-service inspection, and the tech should ask if you've noticed performance problems, and a pre-service test (pressurize the reg, test IP, listen for leaks, etc.,). This will let the tech know if there is a problem going in to the service.
2. Completely disassemble, inspect carefully, clean, relube. Replace all "annual" soft parts, plus any parts that look "suspect" on inspection. This includes hoses and gauges if attached.
3. Reassemble. Set IP and cracking pressure to factory specs.

The tech will hopefully "cycle" the reg to acheive a "set" in the soft seats before final "tuning".

Best wishes.

My LDS quoted me $110 to service the first and second stages for my Oceanic Delta 4 with FDX10. Seems high to me. I asked them what that covered and they said the labor and parts kit. I said "parts kit", and that I thought Oceanic covered this under the lifetime service agreement as long as it was serviced each year. The LDS informed me that MOST Oceanic dealers do not participate in this program. The parts kit was 60-80 (cant remember), so if they participated then my service would only be 30-50 bucks.

Holy Goshmoly - can I be your LDS? Those rates are outrageous, and tool and training investment aside, if a shop is serious about servicing equiiopment then they need to run that part of their business in a cost effective manner too. Shop around, you can do much better than that.

My LDS quoted me $110 to service the first and second stages for my Oceanic Delta 4 with FDX10. Seems high to me. I asked them what that covered and they said the labor and parts kit. I said "parts kit", and that I thought Oceanic covered this under the lifetime service agreement as long as it was serviced each year. The LDS informed me that MOST Oceanic dealers do not participate in this program. The parts kit was 60-80 (cant remember), so if they participated then my service would only be 30-50 bucks.

I think I'd call Oceanic Customer Service about that statement. I would think Oceanic required them to participate to be an authorized dealer.

I don't why a LDS wouldn't participate, Oceanic gives them that parts provided the LDS returns the old parts.

I think I'd call Oceanic Customer Service about that statement. I would think Oceanic required them to participate to be an authorized dealer.

I don't why a LDS wouldn't participate, Oceanic gives them that parts provided the LDS returns the old parts.

Participation in the Oceanic Alliance Service Agreement is optional for all Oceanic dealers EXCEPT the dealer that originally delivered that SPECIFIC regulator. That being said, I can't imagine why any dealer would fail to participate. But, I have heard many direct and indirect stories from dealers who do not. Go figure.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

It's expensive, I think mine was around $143.00.....including taxes.

APEX ATX50, Ocean Enterprises, San Diego (03/10/09)

What kind of reg are you diving? I service ScubaPro regs for the shop and I think they charge $35.00 plus tax. If they are under warranty and that is for 1,2,octo. Now they do charge for the o-ring s and stuff that is NOT covered under the warranty. But that is not that much. If you have SP regs check them out. http:Spruce Creek Scuba Center Home Page. They do other regs also.

Basically, the cost of labor for disassembling, inspecting, replacing the parts, reassembling, testing, and doing associated paperwork. You might wish to confrim, if you haven't already, that the price did not include the service kit. I know you said it was under warranty. But, $85 is toward the high end of cost, unless the reg was quite dirty, needed additional cleaning, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom