Regulator service in the DMV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr0undzer0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Legend Glacia and I need to get some service on it. I'm still fairly new to Northern VA so I'm unsure who to entrust the work to. I wen't on one of "The Dive Shop" fun dives and the regulator they loaned me leaked on my second dive that day. Needless to say I'm weary of letting them service my rig. Can anyone recommend a trusted shop for service?

You can try Patriot Scuba in Occuaquan(sp?) or Woodbridge Scuba in (dah) Woodbidge. I had Woodbridge look at a computer and Patriot service tanks - no experience with regulators.

BTW: Know of any local places that work on Mares/Dacor regulators? I bought an old Dacor that I want serviced before I set it up on my pony.

On the other hand...You might want to go to Aqualand's website and ship it off to one of their official partner stores (the closest one seems to be just north of Baltimore)
Aqua Lung - Professional Diving Equipment

Before condemning the shop, did you determine what caused the leak. May have been faulty maintenance or may have been an unavoidable failure. even with the best of service, they will happen occasionally.

Before condemning the shop, did you determine what caused the leak. May have been faulty maintenance or may have been an unavoidable failure. even with the best of service, they will happen occasionally.

I agree. Let the shop know you had a problem with the reg. I know a person that does a lot of the repair work there, and he is very good at it. He does not cut corners.

First, Thank you for your replies. I am in no way condemning the shop. I only had a bad experience with one of the regulators they loaned me. When I told them it leaked on my dive they said they weren't sure why and they'd look into it. It was full of muck behind the front plate when they opened it up no idea why as I hadn't been bottom feeding. I hope you can understand my concern. While we are trained to deal with adverse situations I'd still like to avoid them if possible. The staff is always kind to me there and really put alot of work into making me feel comfortable. I have nothing bad to say about them only that when I rent a regulator its concerning to see it leak if indeed it is maintained by that shop.
Back to topic.
I'll check out the stores you mentioned Katch. Thanks.
Hope I haven't offended anyone. Just telling the story.

Those rental regs are used and abused and are constantly in chlorine. Not all of them are that great for a cold quarry dive either. Especially if you went down below the thermoclines where it is colder than they are typically used for an OW class.

As to the muck, I'm guessing they probably don't get rinsed as often as they should.

I wouldn't judge the service capabilities by the rental fleet. Even with regular maintenance, those regs are used hard and unfortunately, they have to misbehave on someone before they can be flagged for extra unscheduled maintenance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom