Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still interested in Round 2 or 3. As I mentioned to Rob, I wanted to give “those who have never cracked a reg” a chance first. Or an Advanced course, though I am hardly advanced after a dozen HOGs over the past few years. I’d really like to understand how piston regs are serviced.

I'm also going for round 2 or 3, depending on dates.

For my European and Pacific lurkers (there are currently four) Round #3 will be a 4-6 hour increment course tentatively starting at 0500-1100 UTC Saturday morning (my Friday night) and running over two days and two weekends. Stand by for more info and PM me if those times are deal breakers.

That time slot is perfect for this Pacific lurker - 3pm-9pm Sat/Sun.

And you'll need at least one extra working second stage on a hose to serve as a pressure release valve whenever you are testing regs. I'd have an extra working first on standby so you can tune your second if something prevents you from reassembling one of your class first stages in time.

I have a simple $20 IP Gauge I keep in my dive toolkit, and a better one for working with at home. The better IP gauge has a manual pressure release and an overpressure valve. This avoids the need to purge with a 2nd stage and makes 1st stage tuning a lot simpler.

Something like this one:
XS Scuba IP Test Gauge | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

This avoids the need to purge with a 2nd stage and makes 1st stage tuning a lot simpler.

Very true, but when it's time to give the first stage a good set of cycles (50 +) you'll be bouncing your IP gauge into an early retirement.

I have a simple $20 IP Gauge I keep in my dive toolkit, and a better one for working with at home. The better IP gauge has a manual pressure release and an overpressure valve. This avoids the need to purge with a 2nd stage and makes 1st stage tuning a lot simpler.

Something like this one:
XS Scuba IP Test Gauge | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
That is nice, but $70? For a few bucks more you can get an even handier tuning tool: Dual Drive Inline Adjusting Tool

edit: fixed link

Very true, but when it's time to give the first stage a good set of cycles (50 +) you'll be bouncing your IP gauge into an early retirement.

What's the working life of an IP gauge? It's no problem to use a reg for the break in, but there is less juggling with the fancy IP gauge when tuning.

What's the working life of an IP gauge? It's no problem to use a reg for the break in, but there is less juggling with the fancy IP gauge when tuning.

I wish I knew the answer. My main IP gauge was purchased several years ago and it's still in great shape. I am very careful not to shock it. The "throw away gauges" may last just a year or two as I'm not as careful with them. Not only that, but when I want to get an immediate direct reading I use a gauge I modified by drilling out the snubber so I don't confuse snubber induced lag with IP creep.

Being the cheap bastard that I am, for rough work I purchase generic gauges from Home Depot or from the "helpful hardware man" but again, being cheap I don't like to do it more often than necessary so for cycling a first stage I use an OPV and an air nozzle.
BA #2 checking for venturi front view.jpg
generic press gauge.jpg
drill out snubber.jpg

generic press gauge snubber.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom