Regulator servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcreamer: It isn't that I don't diver regularly it's that where I live all the diving is in lakes and quarries which I don't like. So all my diving is in the ocean which entails an airplane ride and it's too costly and a pain in the ***** to take tanks and weights on the plane so I rent them. Because of this I very seldom use my personal tanks. Thanks for the heartfelt reccommendation though.

I get my reg serviced regularly. It keeps the scubapro warranty in effect--and gives me peace of mind. The service at my LDS is excellent and it is well worth $40 or so to make sure everything is working well.

Steve

OK, Reality check. I have 8 sets of regs for me and my wife. I'll take them in overhead environments (cave, wrecks, deco). I service them myself since I have no desire to pay the rates on 8 regs.

I have a very different philosphy with regs. First, I dive diaphram regs, most of which have the environmental kits. I also treat 1st stages and 2nd stages differently.

Simply put, my first stages are pristine inside when I have rebuilt them. They functioned flawlessly and were rebuilt only to ensure 02 cleanliness. I have never had to rebuild a first stage for reliability and I have several going on 3-5 years.

2nd stages are a different matter. They get dirty as they are exposed to the elements. From my expierence, 2 years or so is an average interval. I service based on need, not time.

Lastly, for those who throw the life support BS argument. My answer is quite simple. Losing a reg underwater is NOT life threatening. You have been taught how to handle this via Air share, CESA, buddy breathing and buoyant ascents. That's 4 options. Inconvenient yes, problem no.

For those who are agast, let me ask you this question, do you service your BC's, drysuits etc as well? How about inspecting lights, fin straps etc. Do you replace fin straps once a year as a 'preventive maintenance step to ensure safety'? I'd sure rather have a free flowing reg than lose a fin myself.

in_cavediver:
OK, Reality check. I have 8 sets of regs for me and my wife. I'll take them in overhead environments (cave, wrecks, deco). I service them myself since I have no desire to pay the rates on 8 regs.

I have a very different philosphy with regs. First, I dive diaphram regs, most of which have the environmental kits. I also treat 1st stages and 2nd stages differently.

Simply put, my first stages are pristine inside when I have rebuilt them. They functioned flawlessly and were rebuilt only to ensure 02 cleanliness. I have never had to rebuild a first stage for reliability and I have several going on 3-5 years.

2nd stages are a different matter. They get dirty as they are exposed to the elements. From my expierence, 2 years or so is an average interval. I service based on need, not time.

Lastly, for those who throw the life support BS argument. My answer is quite simple. Losing a reg underwater is NOT life threatening. You have been taught how to handle this via Air share, CESA, buddy breathing and buoyant ascents. That's 4 options. Inconvenient yes, problem no.

For those who are agast, let me ask you this question, do you service your BC's, drysuits etc as well? How about inspecting lights, fin straps etc. Do you replace fin straps once a year as a 'preventive maintenance step to ensure safety'? I'd sure rather have a free flowing reg than lose a fin myself.

My experiance outside the USA is they get serviced as needed. The mandatory "annual service or rebuild" is something that has always troubled me as it creates as much or more risk than a longer service interval.

Dave

Sorry for the thread drift, but I gotta know; Steve, where in NYC can you get a regulator serviced for $40?? I've been quoted $40 per stage, i.e. $120 for one 1st stage and 2 2nd stages.

Henrik

in cave diver . you seem to be a fairly experienced diver . but would you condone a trainee diver or a owd with 10 or so dives to go opening first stages ?

as i said keep to the manufactures instructions and guidelines its the best practice

stevewirl:
in cave diver . you seem to be a fairly experienced diver . but would you condone a trainee diver or a owd with 10 or so dives to go opening first stages ?

as i said keep to the manufactures instructions and guidelines its the best practice

A new OW diver with a strong mechanical background and the right reference material may well do better than some of the "techs" that get paid to screw up gear for divers.

This one was manufactured in 1958. It was rebuilt in 1968 when given to me and then again a couple of years ago. It has hundreds of dives on it, annual servicing, yeah, right, who has time for that foolishness? Seems modern plasticfantastic regulators need to tough up so they can live in the real world of salt and sand and unstoppable time.

DSCF0221.jpg

N

Garrobo:
"How often do you service your car?" Never. I change the oil, filter and lube it now and then myself, usually after about 7500 miles and run it through the wash bay about once a month if it needs it. No specific dates or times. Same with the regs. I don't dive enough to need servicing---yet. I tear them down to clean the salt and sand out of them if there is any inside, inspect the diaphragm, seals or o-rings and low pressure seat and adjust the jow pressure valve to my satifaction and reassemble. No problems yet. Those who are paranoid about these things, are not able to do things mechanical or have lots of bucks to waste should go ahead and pay to have these things done either on a time schedule or whenever they think that they should be done. Pisses me off that I had to have my tanks inspected last month so as to get a fill when they only had one fill on them since last year. Rip-off.

That oil, filter and lube service IS servicing your car!!!

awap:
Neither. I inspect my regs often and service them, as necessary when there is some indication of a problem. Usually a reg will give you plenty of warning before it goes into a heavy freeflow. Very small leaks are a common indication of a need for attention. With the 1st stage, you really need to check it with an IP guage to make sure IP is in spec (or where you want it) and reasonably stable.

Then, sometimes if I get bored, I'll just tear one down a bit to inspect it and usually give it a good cleaning and lube.

My regs seem to go about 3 to 5 years between a full service.

similar time frame here......4 or 5 years........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom