Regulator servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of the service manuals for multiple regs and brands I've worked on, the usual trend for servicing follows 2 guidelines in a manner of whichever comes first:

A) 200-300 hours of use; the amount depends on the brand's guidelines.
B) Depending on brand & their guidelines: Annually serviced OR Annual internal inspection/bench test with service done every other year

Criteria A is pretty self explanatory, wear and tear with use will degrade the internals of your reg.
Use is defined as the reg being pressurized; so it's just not dive time that counts as use of a reg. So really I would just look at every dive counting as 1-2 hours. So 100-300 dives on a reg before service depending how you interpret your guidelines.

Criteria B is more so because storage environment can be highly variable among divers, and certain environments will degrade orings and soft parts quicker than others.

So to answer your first question, yes they should be looked at. Second part of your question, when should you have your reg serviced depends really on
- duration of use since last service
- user gear maintenance: rinsing, storage, gentleness on the gear
Criteria B is just a standard timeline for when regs should be serviced, but that does not guarantee your reg will be without issues. So until you gain more insight on gear and comfort underwater for malfunctions, it would be a safe approach to stick with that guideline and service on a timeline regardless of how much use you put on the reg.

Many thanks for all of the good advice. My personal decision...I'm taking it to a shop certified by the manufacturer to do their $35 check over. A small price to pay for peace of mind.

On my very first dive with this reg, brand new, it blew an o-ring where a hose connects to the 1st stage. Fortunately, the boat that I was on was still at the dock and they fixed it quickly.

I avoid having my regs serviced unless they have a problem. I had more than occasionally trouble with freshly serviced regs and had to bring them back for a tweak right after service quite a few times. I dive mostly freshwater, so salt isn't an issue and I'm comfortable with exceeding the manufacturer's recommended service intervals.

Just because somebody asked...a twenty minute soak in fresh water after the last dive, then rinsed in fresh water. Dried and then stored in its own bag.

I will never advise less than the manufacturer recommends, but of course if scheduled for service at 2 years, I don’t expect a failure at 25 months. (After all, how long is too long to go without changing your oil?)
Wait for problems to have it serviced? C’mon man, this is life support! Unless you dive 100% redundant I suppose.
Also, does your brand offer Free Parts For Life? That is usually contingent on maintaining and documenting your service history, including inspection only years if applicable.
So first read what your owners manual says, then ask more questions.

I also tell my customers to feel free to bring it in to put on a tank and blow out the water after a post trip soak.

Wait for problems to have it serviced?

The exact answer we expect from "A Dive Shop" as listed in your avatar and profile... Following the regulator checklist (@couv @buddhasummer @rsingler @herman etal.) you monitor for needs. It is quite unusual for the complete failure you attempt to scare folks about, but usually a few minor indications it is time. A complete failure is typically a faulty part, and could be at any instant, even minute after servicing....

C’mon man, this is life support!
-

oh boy....:popcorn:

The exact answer we expect from "A Dive Shop" as listed in your avatar and profile... Following the regulator checklist (@couv @buddhasummer @rsingler @herman etal.) you monitor for needs. It is quite unusual for the complete failure you attempt to scare folks about, but usually a few minor indications it is time. A complete failure is typically a faulty part, and could be at any instant, even minute after servicing....

-

oh boy....:popcorn:
When I offer a customer advice or opinion that is contrary to the manufacturer, I assume liability if something ever happened due to my advice. And that is exactly what I explain to folks when pressed for “yeah but, is that really needed?”

You may ascribe any motives you like to that stance, but I want to spend my free time diving and not in court.

The problem is many people's experience suggests that poor service practice results in regulators that are less safe (OK "safe") than if the service had not taken place. Regulator free flow can occur as the cracking pressure is set too low for example. Failure to cycle the reg for whatever reason can lead to a "settling in" that can lead to free flow.

If a shop says bring it back after a week for a re-adjust then they are probably anticipating it will free flow and admitting they haven't cycled it enough.

A good technician and a proper service is fine and will reassure you that a thorough inspection has taken place and that any components that needed replacement have been replaced. The question is does your LDS employ a good technician? The routine replacement of components for no good reason is only to benefit the companies that make the components, resell the components and fit the components. You could change the oil in your car every week but it wouldn't really make any difference to the engine life.

The ideal periodicity of a good service, done properly is debatable. It is not that expensive if we are honest is it? But if you own a lot of regulators for your singles, doubles and deco tanks an annual period can soon become quite expensive. Doing it yourself can save a small amount but personally I am too lazy, I take mine to my LDS (he is great BTW). So you try to find the optimum. The optimum is not annual. Annual is what the manufacturers suggest and is a combination of some folk that treat their gear badly and some butt covering. Look after your regs properly and we can push that a while longer. The "free" gimmick is just to sell more service kits. Go from annual to a five year periodicity and "free" is much more expensive than paid for.

The correct answer to "how long"? is dependent on too many factors to give a clear answer and be sure you are right. If you are not sure be very cautious and "safe". So the answer is annually. That is not the right answer for me, but it might be for you. I don't know you so my answer is annually, to cover my butt. If I knew you a bit better I might admit to having a couple of regulators more than 10 years old that are still waiting for their first service. But I don't know you so I will not let you know my guilty secret.

The flip side of "servicing" gear that was functioning normal, arbitrarily replacing o-rings, diaphragms and valve seats, loosening and tightening of fasteners introduces the side effect of error.

I'm an infrequent fresh water diver, low hours. I have mostly older/used gear and just work on it as needed, which isn't very often. The equipment just works and my tanks get an annual VIP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom