Regulator servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a new reg a year ago, but have only used it on nine saltwater dives in that year. Should I have it looked at before taking a trip in November? Is it better to get servicing according to a time schedule or according to number of dives?

It would be interesting to see how well you took care of it...

It would be interesting to see how well you took care of it...

This is an important factor. If regulators are properly cleaned and rinsed after use then you can extend the period between services if it has not had a huge number of dives. Salt is the killer. It crystallises and attracts moisture and can make little pin prick areas of corrosion. Eventually these can destroy the regulator altogether if they are in a critical place.

I have some regs that have not been serviced in a very long time and are just fine. Mostly they have been in fresh water. After a salt water dive they get soaked and rinsed thoroughly. The best way to get salt out is to dive fresh water :)

So really it is a tough call. Lick the regulator. Does it taste of salt? If so you have not kept it clean enough. Have you kept it dry and warm? If so it is probably OK. Is it in the bottom of a kit bag covered in dirt? If so I would service it just in case.

If you can see surface corrosion or any green colour then it definitely needs a service.

How good is the service centre? A lot of regs seem to free flow just after service. If you are going on a trip and will be away from somewhere that can look at it the last thing you need is a free flow. If possible dive it before you go. If you can dive it now you can probably see if it needs a service.

Not an easy question to answer over the Internet. Sorry.

The dive shop here will not touch my regulator (Poseidon), so I have to wait until I take a trip to the Keys to get it checked out. I usually get down there once every couple years, but not always. The guy in Key Largo who services Poseidons told me if I keep it rinsed out I won't have a problem. Just to be safe he went ahead and replaced the rubber diaphragm with a new silicone one, even though it didn't need it.

Poorly cared for or stored badly can nearly destroy a reg in a few weeks. (Worst case)

Best case, a few thousand dives over decades without needing anything replaced.

Where your reg fits in this spectrum I can't guess accurately. The advice above is good.

Cameron

I dive salt almost exclusively and usually once weekly, always with a thorough rinsing. I get it serviced every 2 years unless I detect a problem. Then again, most of my dives are in the 30' range, so I figure I'm not as much at risk as most divers--see the CESA Poll in Advanced.....
The only time in recent years I had to have it serviced was to replace a hose I accidently broke when it got stuck under the tank gearing up. Now I always pack my pony reg. as a backup.

If I were going on a two week trip to Roatan. And I am. I will have the regulator set serviced one month prior to the trip then a gear check dive with all gear one week prior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom