Regulator set up cost.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before spending any money, get a tank of air, an IP gauge, and a bucket of water and check it yourself.
Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)

Most likely, it'll be just fine. If not, join us in the DIY forum where we can talk you through simple adjustments.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I actually read that thread before making this post. As far as the IP gauge Goes. Do I need an inline gauge that I can adjust while hooked with the hose and 2nd. Or the style where I need to remove the second every time I want to check the IP?

The ip gauge just connects to the inflator hose. The tool that connects between the reg 2nd stage and the hose is an in-line adjustment tool that usually has an ip gauge on it.the ip is adjusted on the first stage. The in-line tool is for adjusting the 2nd stage reg.

For now (until you join the Dark Side) just an inexpensive IP gauge that attaches to a BC inflator hose is all you need.
Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)

The ip gauge just connects to the inflator hose. The tool that connects between the reg 2nd stage and the hose is an in-line adjustment tool that usually has an ip gauge on it.the ip is adjusted on the first stage. The in-line tool is for adjusting the 2nd stage reg.

That was my point. Since the inline does both what was more important to have.

For now (until you join the Dark Side) just an inexpensive IP gauge that attaches to a BC inflator hose is all you need.
Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)

So basically get both.

I wouldn’t get the inline adjuster, and certainly not the one with a gauge on it. You don’t need that at this point.

Even if you did, I find that tool annoying. It’s hard to read the IP while testing and adjusting a 2nd stage, much better to have a nice IP gauge attached to the inflator hose. And if you do need to adjust a 2nd stage, you just remove the hose and make small incremental changes with an Allen key, (some Regs have a special tool needed here)

I'm going with you are over thinking this. Ever been on a boat where someone had a reg problem? Swap on another reg and go diving. It works. There is a fairly broad tolerance of what will work. Unless something is weird, it is a mix and match just fine. There may be some fine tuning adjustments possible, but that would be more of a manufacturing tolerance adjustment more then a brand to brand adjustment.

So basically get both.
If you're only going to service a few second stages every year or so, no-just get the cheap one that attaches to a bc hose. As Cave Eagle said the expensive one is just a nice to have or for a work bench. If you're going to make a hobby of buying used gear and will find yourself servicing quite a few second stages a year-yes, get a good inline adjusting tool.
..................................................OR..................................................
If you like tools and gadgets, Hell yeah! Treat yourself. Merry Christmas!

Edit: Another very handy "tool" is an inline shut off valve. Attach it to the hose just upstream of your second stage (if not using an inline adjuster) or upstream of an inline adjuster. The reason is to save most of the gas in system.
DGX Inline Shutoff Valve: 9/16-Inch M = 9/16-Inch F

If you're only going to service a few second stages every year or so, no-just get the cheap one that attaches to a bc hose. As Cave Eagle said the expensive one is just a nice to have or for a work bench. If you're going to make a hobby of buying used gear and will find yourself servicing quite a few second stages a year-yes, get a good inline adjusting tool.
..................................................OR..................................................
If you like tools and gadgets, Hell yeah! Treat yourself. Merry Christmas!

Edit: Another very handy "tool" is an inline shut off valve. Attach it to the hose just upstream of your second stage (if not using an inline adjuster) or upstream of an inline adjuster. The reason is to save most of the gas in system.
DGX Inline Shutoff Valve: 9/16-Inch M = 9/16-Inch F

So would this be used when I’m checking the IP and adjusting the second stage?

So would this be used when I’m checking the IP and adjusting the second stage?

Yes, while the in line shut off valve is not necessary it can save a lot of gas if you have to make several adjustments to get the cracking pressure just right. It also saves time by not having to turn off the tank valve-purge-remove the hose from the second stage-adjust the orifice-hook up the hose again-turn on the tank valve...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom