Regulator storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeCaf521

Registered
Reaction score
Whats the best long term (4 to 6 months) way to store your regs between uses. I currently give mine a good soaking after I use them, then I store them along with my BCD on one of those BC/reg hangers. The hanger I have is the kind that you clamp the reg on as as if it were a yoke style tank (its also got a spot to thread a DIN reg on to it.) They're then kept in a storage room in my basement with a dehumidifier. Is this method of storage good for the long term health of my regs? Does anyone have any better ways that they store their gear? Any ideas are always appreciated.

Thanks.

Hanging your regulator like that probably isn't a very good idea. The hoses are stressed by the weight of the second stage and console and will reduce the life of the hoses. Sure, replacing hoses is no big deal, but why subject the gear to unnecessary wear? AFAIK, the best way to store a regulator is to loosely coil the hoses and storing in an air-tight bag. And make sure you dry it completely before storing, and if possible pressurize and purge both second stages after the soak.

I usually just keep mine coiled up in my mesh bag on top of my fins. and above anything else that's heavy.

Franky, we've been storing our regs similar to what DeCaf has been doing for many years with no adverse effects. In fact, if you look at most dive operations, that's the way they are stored: hanging.

There is VERY little weight in a 2nd stage, even with the heavier units like Abyss. IMHO the "stress" on the hoses would be negligible. Ditto on the console.

Coiling is acceptable as long as the person knows what they are doing, looping the hoses in big circles with no sharp bends or creases. But I find that having the mouthpieces hangind DOWN helps drain any residual moisture from them, aiding in keeping the gear dry.

50-50, now.... :devil:

We have a dresser in our guest room that we can use for laying out our regulators for extended periods of time - in spare drawers. Even then, you have to make sure the 1st stage is not laying on one of the hoses. (I crimped my Low pressure inflator hose that way).

We also have used the kind of hangers you're referring to. My husband recently found a version that also has loops on the bottom that can support the 2nd stages and colsole. (If you attach them close to the 2nd stages or console, there's not much bend in the hose).

It's described as the "comp 3 in 1 accessory hanger" on Divers Direct's website if you want to search for it. I'm not sure how necessary it is to clip the 2nd stages, etc., back into the hanger, though. But we thought we'd try it....

In the end, IMHO, the way you're hanging the regs is best - the only thing I can recommend for sure is: Use Hose Protectors.

hahhah, I throw mine on the basement floor, on top of a bag of course. :wacko:

I just have to remember to purge the spiders from the mouthpiece come Spring!

Well, OK I'm not that bad, but honestly, my "spare" set have been lying in the same spot for quite some time. When my brother came over to borrow them, my only warning was to "land breathe" them for a few breaths before he jumped in. I told him why (long term storage) and from there it was up to him to decide if he wanted to borrow them or not.

Then again, I dove with him, so I was ready for his problems......None developed, now I'm OK to breathe them!

Regards.

SubMariner once bubbled...
Franky, we've been storing our regs similar to what DeCaf has been doing for many years with no adverse effects. In fact, if you look at most dive operations, that's the way they are stored: hanging.

I'm sure that the additional wear is pretty minimal, especially if hose protectors are used. Consoles sometimes get pretty heavy depending on the model, but you can always hang the console down straight. Without hose protectors, the swage on the 1st-stage side does sometimes seperate after constant stress. I don't know if this can result from storing it hanging by the 1st stage, but from your post seems like it likely won't.

Thanks everyone for their input, i appreciate it. I think for the time being i'll leave them on the hangers, oh, and BTW, I do have hose protectors on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom