• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Regulator test rig you don't need to suck.

Discussion in 'Making your own Gear' started by njmorrell, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Open Ocean Diver

Open Ocean Diver ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Oh good… must be a variable switched mode power supply then.

2. Open Ocean Diver

When I plug my balance/bleed tube and have a good seal around the mouthpiece you can test for leaks in your regular case.

3. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Not likely, just a couple "wall wort" transformers from old electronic devices...

4. rhwestfall

you have me worried....

5. Open Ocean Diver

As long as you are feeding the little controller with DC you should be fine.

6. rhwestfall

okay, like I said, just old transformers (DC output) from other items long gone...

7. Open Ocean Diver

There are some motors that require a PWM signal to vary the speed they usually have electronics built-in to the motor for commentating and they have more than two wires. I think in your case the Amazon listing description is a little misleading. If it work your good.

8. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I know you guys are past this, but thought I should mention McMaster sells a self-fusing rubber electrical tape that one can make all sorts of gaskets and wraps with. No DIY workbench should be without at least one roll.
    McMaster-Carr

Wrap a barbed hose fitting in it and make a type of stopper on one end.

self fusing rubber tape.jpg

But you know what? Two fittings as shown in an earlier post is a much more elegant solution. I wish I knew someone with connections to a machinist who likes to make parts for his DIY friends. Let's see now, who do we know like that @Open Ocean Diver ?

Lorenzoid and Open Ocean Diver like this.
  9. tmassey

tmassey Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I see you all bought the Scuba Tools fitting. I am way too cheap for that. That’s the last piece that I have to complete: going to Home Depot and seeing what I can use to shove into my regulator. I figure between PVC pipe, maybe or maybe not baked in an oven, as well as a variety of sizes of bicycle innertube available to me, etc., I can figure out a way to create the seal on the second stage.

But before I go and let my creative juices flow, anyone have any suggestions?

And for @rhwestfall, I think your motor will do just fine, whether it’s designed for a motor controller or whether it would handle variable voltage. I don’t know which my motor is, and I can’t even express how little I care. The amount of time we will be running these motors is so vanishingly small, and the load we will be putting them under is so vanishingly small, it really doesn’t matter. At least, IMHO. Engineers who do this for a living might disagree, but their requirements are several orders of magnitude greater than what we are looking for. :)

ETA: besides, when you’re buying things from eBay and your primary requirement is based on price, suitability of design was never part of the equation anyway. :)

rhwestfall likes this.
  10. Open Ocean Diver

Ha ha there you go…. Who cares it’s only worth $11 just hook it up. Daaaar
    Home Depot I think they have glue guns, should work to seal the mouthpiece. :) cobble cobble