Regulator tuning question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocoajoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently had my Atomic reg & SS1 serviced. I tried it out in the shop and both were fine. 2 days later hooking up gear at BHB and SS1 started free flowing. Long story short, tech at Pure Vida adjusted SS1 with allen wrench.
I haven't had any regulator training but this seems like something the average diver can handle. Comments? Turn clockwise or counter?

Basic regulator service is far easier then most people think and has not really changed in decades. The problem is that the manufactures know this and make some of the parts on their regs in such a way that you need special tools to remove them. There is no reason for them to have a special pattern on the top of a screw that only a dive shop has the tool for when an allen wrench could do the job if the part were made that way. That is starting to change with at least a few manufactures, HOG being the leader in that area, that makes normal parts and offers classes on how to do your own service.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2013 at 03:21 PM ----------

Only trained service technicians should service or adjust SS1 regulators by turning clockwise to reduce freeflow.

Or you will die right? WRONG! I have been doing my own service for 30+ years and I am still here. I had no formal training, all I had was a repair manual and the parts. This is not rocket science, anyone can do this.

Only trained service technicians should service or adjust SS1 regulators by turning clockwise to reduce freeflow.

And only with the approved super SS1 Allen wrench :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh, I wasn't suggesting I overhaul my reg or SS1. I watched the tech use a 3/16" allen wrench go thru the male fitting for inflator on SS1 and slightly turn one way or the other. Didn't seem that complicated to me. But like I say, it's new to me.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2013 at 05:11 PM ----------

And only with the approved super SS1 Allen wrench :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May I quote you on that?

Ahh, I wasn't suggesting I overhaul my reg or SS1.

You do not need to know how to overhaul a reg to fix a free flow problem like this, it is a minor adjustment that anyone can do and knowing how can salvage an otherwise lost dive. If you are interested let me know and I can walk you through it.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2013 at 05:38 PM ----------

Really? That is what you got from my post? THIS is why I love scubaboard.

Relax, Frances.

Sorry man, you are right, but it has just been one of those days. I am going to start working on relaxing right NOW!

As long as you also depress the purge and turn only about 30 degrees at a time (and no more than 90 degrees before you need to consider other possible problems) you may consider yourself minimally trained.

I tried to teach my dog to do this and he almost had it but just could not work his way around the problem of lacking thumbs.

As long as you also depress the purge and turn only about 30 degrees at a time (and no more than 90 degrees before you need to consider other possible problems) you may consider yourself minimally trained.

I tried to teach my dog to do this and he almost had it but just could not work his way around the problem of lacking thumbs.

Thanks buddy

Back
Top Bottom