Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

June

Registered
Reaction score
I am having some problem deciding on a regulator. After much research, I have narrowed my choice to the following:

Mares Ice Proton
Apeks ATX 200
BISM RB2500CW
Tusa RS340

Any suggestion, advice and feedback is greatly appreciated

Just pick the one that suits the kind of diving you do (water temp. etc.) and is easy to find parts and authorised servicing for.

I own an Apeks FSR/ATX200 and can say that it is a great high performance reg that is probably overkill for recreational diving in warm water. The FSR/ATX200 and the Proton Ice were designed with cold water diving in mind—OTOH, the Proton Ice is quite popular here in Thailand due to the small size and “pretty” design of the second stage. Below is Scuba Diving magazine’s review of Mares V32/Proton Ice:

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/class_of_2004/4/

I don’t know much about Bism regulators but they seem identical to those sold under the Ocean Master brand in the US. There is a description of the Ocean Master Deep Limit Brass Plus on page 58 of the July 2004 issue of Scuba Diving magazine.

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/class_of_2004/5/

Compare the above to the Bism regulator page:

http://www.bism.co.jp/d_gear/regulator.html

The TUSA RS340 received good reviews in the June 2005 issue of Scuba Diving magazine, although I’m not sure what this actually means in term of its true performance in real diving conditions.

Mares is nice and small
Apeks is perfectly adjustable! I own ATX 200 and no problem with it althought I think that it is one of bigger regulators (comparing to Proton Ice or some Oceanic regulators), so if you want nice small and lightweight regulator get Proton Ice, if you want regulator for all condition and depth get the ATX 200.
(I don't know anything about BISM or Tusa so they also can be as good as Apeks but I haven't tried them yet)

Other than post in the "Regulator" forum? My choice would be the Apeks.

The most important consideration is to buy a regulator you can get serviced.

So, buy a regulator that you can;

1) get serviced locally and,
2) get serviced almost anywhere if you plan to move in the future or travel extensively.

The TUSA RS340 is a good regulator and is essentially a rebranded Scubapro Mk 16. Tabata is the company Scubapro contracts with to make their regulator designs and once the exculsive rights expire, Tabata usually markets a nearly identical reg with different cosmetics through Tusa - which is "Tabata USA". And once the exculsive rights expire, Scubapro usually designs something newer to market that Tabata then makes for Scubapro. In this case SP has discontinued the Mk 16 for the generally similar but more evolved and fully sealed Mk 17.

Since the Mk 16 was discontinued recently you may be still be able to find one through a local Scubapro dealer at a really great price. You should also be able to find a Mk 17. The fully sealed design of the Mk 17 eliminates the only advantage a balanced diaphragm Apex first stage ever had over the Mk 16. I recently retired my SP Mk 20's for Mk 17's and in my opinion it is an excellent regulator. It is also available with a very wide variety of second stages.

Another consideration is the company itself. Unless you plan on upgrading to a new regulator every few years, you want to stick with a company with a track record of providing parts and service support for discontinued models. I would avoid Mares, given what they did when they acquired Dacor (discontinued parts support for all out of current production regulators.)

Scubapro and Aqualung both have histories of supporting nearly every single hose reg they have made in the last 40 years.

Scubapro goes a bit farther by making evolutionary design changes that can often be incorporated into older models. For example a late 60's Scubapro Adjustable second stage can be upgraded to use the same lever, poppet, and balanced chamber used in the current G250HP and when updated offers performance nearly identical the G250HP and S600.

Both companies are good choices for owners who plan to buy a good regs and only buy one once. Both also have wide dealer networks and can be serviced nearly everywhere.

Apex is an Aqualung subsidiary and you can probably rely on continuing support, but not all Aqualung dealers carry or service Apex regs.

Back
Top Bottom