Regulators and hard water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the wonderful "taste" is in fact the minerals.... As a side bar to this, if you are pondering a softener, look into a potassium system rather than a rock salt based one. Better for you (and better for the septic tank if you are on a private disposal system)... sorry for the hijack....

the wonderful "taste" is in fact the minerals.... As a side bar to this, if you are pondering a softener, look into a potassium system rather than a rock salt based one. Better for you (and better for the septic tank if you are on a private disposal system)... sorry for the hijack....

I thought it was the Scotch:eyebrow:

Yes to the potassium! The high sodium content is not good for people with heart issues.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

This is a great topic, my regs seam to have the same issues. When I disassembled my regs while in the HOG reg repair class I couldn't believe the amount of corrosion in them. After a salt water dive I run water into the mouth piece for a minute or so on each second stage and then let them soak pressurized for at least a couple of hours. One thought was that the corrosion may be from the chlorine in our water, It does taste like pool water when you drink it:((thank god for the Brita pitcher).

I'm confused.

Are we talking about build up of basic crud/silt/salt in the reg (suggesting inadequate rinsing)

Or are we talking about actual corrosion resulting in loss of actual chrome, brass or other metal in the reg?

Or are we just talking about the build up of a little scale in the reg?

If it's the first, just rinse the regs better. I view a short hot water soak followed by a rinse as preferable to a 2 hour or even overnight soak. Even better, I prefer just a plain old rinse, before the reg has a chance to dry in the first place. The salt in salt water is pretty easy to remove when it's still saltwater.

If it's the second, then you probably are not adequately removing the salt, so again I'd recommend either an immediate rinse on the dock, and/or a short hot water soak and rinse, preferably before the reg is fully dry.

If it's the third, stop doing the extended soaking and just due a hot water rinse or a short hot water soak and rinse, and of equal importance dry the business bits of the reg completely by running some air or nitrox through it immediately after the soak/rinse. Or just stop worrying about it. A few minutes in an ultrasound machine once year will remove any hard water induced scale, so I really see it as a total non problem.

Frankly, soaking it in saltwater...err I mean soft water...is not going to help reduce actual corrosion if that's what is occurring.

Well, whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be removing the chrome. When you open the regulator, surfaces that ought to be shiny are dull and grey; there are deposits of some kind encrusting the o-rings. A trip through the ultrasonic cleaner renders everything shiny and as-it-ought-to-be looking. I think the real question is, are the deposits we're seeing due to inadequately rinsed salt water, or are they due to the minerals in our household water supply?

Doesn't really sound like there is a problem beyond the norm. What are these surfaces that are 'dull and grey'? Is it metal or plastic? O-ring encrustation is fairly common, but nothing to worry about.
If it happens again I think we all need to see a photo, it's difficult to envisage.

I have a huge problem with hardwater here in the Maldives. I use groundwater and the well is very very shallow and gets pretty wiffy if it doesn't rain for a month or so. Even at the best of times there is still a sulphuric smell to it.

I soak my gear for 20mins or so in sun-warmed hardwater from the well at the moment, and then blow dry with tank air. I'm planning to get a rainwater collection tank to rinse after the hardwater soak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom