Regulators & Manufacturers Which I Should Pass on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hijax

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I'm looking on eBay for a used reg set and see a number of systems that I don't recognize or heard that they're no longer in business. For example, I've been told by a LDS that Dacor & U.S. Divers are no longer in business and I should avoid getting any used equipment from those brands due to parts availability.

Any advice on brands or even specific reg models that I should avoid?

Rey...

Be careful who you get info from, while Dacor is gone...US Divers is still very much alive....ever heard of Aqualung? USD changed it's name to Aqualung a few years back as a marketing move. It is true a good many of the regs that USD made over the years are no longer supported by the company but some are. The Conshelf is a good example, it shows up on ebay fairly often and is still easy to service, the parts are the same as in the Titan (at least the older design) and the Legend. Those parts will be around for a long time and it makes a good solid reg for a new diver. With a few exceptions, all Scubapro regs are easy to get serviced and still supported. Most of the Sherwoods are still servicable, the Magnum and Brute have been around a long time and are still going strong. Lesser known brands are iffy. Depending on your budget and what you want, you can find good deals on ebay IF.....and it's a big IF...you know what you are looking at and buying. Pretty much anything from Scubapro, Aqualung (USD is iffy depending on the reg), Apeks, Zeagle or Mares will be easy to service ASSUMING you have a shop that services that brand close by.
One thing to keep in mind is any reg you get from ebay is subject until you have it checked/serviced by someone who knows the reg. That is going to add an additional $75 to $150 to the cost of the reg, maybe more if the hoses are shot so keep that in mind when bidding. Often times local buys off Craigslist or the paper are in the end better deals because you can look at the reg before shelling out the cash.
I like used gear, just know what you are buying before spending cash. For the uninformed, less expensive new gear from a known dealer may in the end be a better option for a new diver.

@herman: Thank you for the feedback. The eBay feedback especially makes a lot of sense.

Think brand hew HOG! $500 for brand new regs with all hoses and a pressure gauge. That is also having two nice second stage regs.

Say you get a nice set of regs (1 first stage, and 2 second stages) for $300 off ebay, then spend around $50 a stage rebuilding them ($150 total). You are now at $450 and still probably will need to buy the right length hoses and a pressure gauge.

HOG Gear D1 Singles Regulator Package - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Think brand hew HOG! $500 for brand new regs with all hoses and a pressure gauge. That is also having two nice second stage regs.

Say you get a nice set of regs (1 first stage, and 2 second stages) for $300 off ebay, then spend around $50 a stage rebuilding them ($150 total). You are now at $450 and still probably will need to buy the right length hoses and a pressure gauge.

Great point Peter and I have considered Edge/HOG. My big concern is servicing. I've gone to several LDSs here in the Ft. Lauderdale area and have never seen that brand offered so I'm not sure who could service my reg. I'd rather avoid having to ship things out if I can since that's an added & unnecessary expense.

And yes, I totally see the point you're making about the additional servicing cost for buying used. Noted for sure.

Rey...

Finding local service is one of the biggest reasons I did not mention HOGs (great regs ) and others. Plus, if you travel, it's not a bad idea to have a reg that has a worldwide service network in addition to a local one. Self service pretty much ends that problem so if you decide that later you will learn to DIY then by all means look at new HOGs.

If someone can't service a HOG reg set they shouldn't be working on Apeks, Scubapro, Aqualung, Poseidon, Zeagle, Mares, etc. All the regs are so similar in design, and some are almost identical. Even parts that might need replacement in the field should be stocked by most stores, since often it is just an o-ring that fails. How often does a reg that is routinely serviced fail anyhow? If the reg does fail, you simply rent a second stage or first stage and put it on your reg, utilizing all the rest of your own gear. That is more a reason not to use an Air II or the like that have special connections.

If someone can't service a HOG reg set they shouldn't be working on Apeks, Scubapro, Aqualung, Poseidon, Zeagle, Mares, etc. All the regs are so similar in design, and some are almost identical. Even parts that might need replacement in the field should be stocked by most stores, since often it is just an o-ring that fails. How often does a reg that is routinely serviced fail anyhow? If the reg does fail, you simply rent a second stage or first stage and put it on your reg, utilizing all the rest of your own gear. That is more a reason not to use an Air II or the like that have special connections.

The thing is that *I* don't want to service my reg personally and I don't intend to get certified to do so. Diving is a hobby for me. I just want to take it in to a person that's been certified to fix them and have them do it.

Reactions: Jax

I totally agree but the fact is most shops will not touch a reg that they are not " authorized" to service due to the "liability" that they like to so often mention. Same goes for spare parts. The parts of most of those regs are interchangable but you will never get any of them to admitt it for the same reason. Most shops will not actually repair a reg but rather just "service" it, installing a full kit which will most often times "fix" the problem although a single oring would have done nicely.
If no full, official kit is available they will not touch the reg. This is the reason so many older regs are " unrepairable" when in reality they are easily serviced if the tech knows what he is doing and is willing (or allowed) to do so. One particular reg I really like that was sold by Voit and later AMF is "no longer servicable" according to Mares and the dealers ....problem is I know for fact that parts out of several current Mares regs are exact replacements ( a part or 2 from each model) IF you are willing to dig up the part numbers and take the liability which most shops will not do....and odds are most don't have the skill to do so.

Great point Peter and I have considered Edge/HOG. My big concern is servicing. I've gone to several LDSs here in the Ft. Lauderdale area and have never seen that brand offered so I'm not sure who could service my reg. I'd rather avoid having to ship things out if I can since that's an added & unnecessary expense.

And yes, I totally see the point you're making about the additional servicing cost for buying used. Noted for sure.

Rey...

Finding local service is one of the biggest reasons I did not mention HOGs (great regs ) and others. Plus, if you travel, it's not a bad idea to have a reg that has a worldwide service network in addition to a local one. Self service pretty much ends that problem so if you decide that later you will learn to DIY then by all means look at new HOGs.

Some shops don't want to sell HOG because the "list price" is much lower than their competition, such as Aqualung and ScubaPro.

Shops like to sell higher priced regs because there is more profit in them. (more money in their pocket). Which doesn't do much good for you as the customer. :headscratch:

A quick search showed there are 5 HOG shops in the Ft Lauderdale Area. (2 in Ft Lauderdale and 3 just outside it).

check it out at ---> Store-Locator

Back
Top Bottom