Relative gave me titanium wetsuit...do they love me or hate me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pisaster

Reaction score
Ok...here we go: From what I've read in general google searches, and a little on this board, there's a raging debate over the usefulness of titanium linings in wetsuits, with retailers claiming they help and divers claiming its BS. The reason I'm wondering is because I was given a new supposedly titanium-lined 1-piece wetsuit for use in getting my open water cert in Santa Barbara, CA. Although I think it was advertised as full 7mm, anyone can tell just be looking at it that it's more like 7mm upper body and upper legs, 5mm lower legs, and 4 or 3mm lower arms. Does this sound more like a surf suit? I have a pretty good tolerance for cold but the whole compression-at-depth thing has me a little worried about it. I've taken in out a couple times for some snorkeling near-shore and was nice and warm(5mm booties, 3mm gloves, 6.5mm hood), but I want to make sure I have a suit that I can actually USE for real diving.
Should I keep this one in the closet for when the kind relative comes over and go buy my own or does this sound like it might have a tiny chance of working? I'm on a tightish budget being a college student, so it'd be nice if I didn't have to go out and buy a new suit(although the excels with integrated hoods look nice). Thanks for any advice you can give me. If I do have to get my own suit, I'll probably be willing to sink about 250 into it(assuming I get a job over the summer)

Depends on how susceptible to cold you are. We have people diving suits like that in Puget Sound ... which is a little bit cooler than the waters around Santa Barbara. Most find them adequate.

It also depends on how deep you plan to go. For the depths people typically go during (and hopefully just after) OW certification, compression should not be much of an issue.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

pisaster:
Although I think it was advertised as full 7mm, anyone can tell just be looking at it that it's more like 7mm upper body and upper legs, 5mm lower legs, and 4 or 3mm lower arms. Does this sound more like a surf suit

That's pretty common with thicker wetsuits. The reason for the differrent thickness is for flexibility. I've got a dacor semi-dry suit that is 1-7-5. 1 mil on the wrist and ankle seals, 7 on the torso and 5 on the legs and arms. I've spent about an hour in 45-50ish degree water with it and was fairly warm.

Of course it all comes down to your personal tolerances, but it sounds like a pretty decent suit.

I think they love you. If it fits well, and keeps you warm, go ahead and use it for scuba. Think of it as ~$200-300 ahead of the game, which should help you as far as a tight budget goes. I dive a similar suit over here in the east, and in temps down to 40 deg. If you're cold tolerant and have goo glove, boots, and esp. hood (which it sounds like you do), It should be fine.

Titanaium is a terrible insulator, although it does reflect radiated heat pretty well.

The only way titanium would help you keep warm is if you were radiating energy (like the sun, a light bulb or a fire).

Since most of the heat you lose is by conduction, the titanium doesn't do anything, but the wetsuit material does (regardless of the titanium, it's still a 7mm wetsuit, which is good)

pisaster:
Ok...here we go: From what I've read in general google searches, and a little on this board, there's a raging debate over the usefulness of titanium linings in wetsuits,

pisaster:
Relative gave me titanium wetsuit...do they love me or hate me?
Someone GAVE it to you?? The titanium wet suit is VERY dangerous! Send it to me at once for proper disposal.

But seriously, just dive the thing and you'll know it it's not enough for you. You are wise to have a 6.5mm hood 'cause keeping your head warm is half the battle.
Enjoy!

pisaster:
Ok...here we go: From what I've read in general google searches, and a little on this board, there's a raging debate over the usefulness of titanium linings in wetsuits, with retailers claiming they help and divers claiming its BS. The reason I'm wondering is because I was given a new supposedly titanium-lined 1-piece wetsuit for use in getting my open water cert in Santa Barbara, CA. Although I think it was advertised as full 7mm, anyone can tell just be looking at it that it's more like 7mm upper body and upper legs, 5mm lower legs, and 4 or 3mm lower arms. Does this sound more like a surf suit? I have a pretty good tolerance for cold but the whole compression-at-depth thing has me a little worried about it. I've taken in out a couple times for some snorkeling near-shore and was nice and warm(5mm booties, 3mm gloves, 6.5mm hood), but I want to make sure I have a suit that I can actually USE for real diving.
Should I keep this one in the closet for when the kind relative comes over and go buy my own or does this sound like it might have a tiny chance of working? I'm on a tightish budget being a college student, so it'd be nice if I didn't have to go out and buy a new suit(although the excels with integrated hoods look nice). Thanks for any advice you can give me. If I do have to get my own suit, I'll probably be willing to sink about 250 into it(assuming I get a job over the summer)

I'm a begining diver but I've been buying wetsuits for many years
(Used yo Kayak rives with snow melt water.)

Your suit will work fine for your location in the summer when the water
is closer to 60F but in winter with "mid 50's water I should think
you might want something under it like a 5mm hooded vest.
In 55F most people will want two layers on at least 10mm
total in the torso.

If you do buy another full suit buy a 5/3 shorty or something
like that and put it on under the one you have now. Then you
can use the shorty for trips to warmer water. Replacing your
7/5 suit with a full 7/7 will add only a little warmth and cost a lot.
Adding a layer to go under your suit would cost 50 or 60 bucks
and have other uses and more overall versitility.

I think it was a nice gift from a generous relative - whether it's enough or not...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom