Release Date For New Atomic Aquatics Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be interested to see sales figures of high end consoles versus high end wrist computers. Not many high end consoles which might be a good thing for this computer, but honestly pretty much every boat I am on most divers use an SPG and a wrist computer.

re. consoles vs. wrist mount, consoles sell a lot more units based on the last industry sales figures I've seen. This includes a lot of lower end hockey puck models mounted in consoles, so it's not entirely apples and apples. It's changing a bit, but not as much as you might think. A fair number of divers, like Adam, prefer consoles and would rather not wear a computer on their wrist.

The Cobalt is fundamentally a different type of dive computer. You have to use it some to appreciate why and how. The color OLED screen is the most obvious superficial difference, but the best analogies I could give are a calculator vs. a PDA, or a standard cell phone vs. an iPhone. The price of the unit is just reflective of what it costs to build these capabilities into a dive computer- which in the electronics world is a very low volume specialized market. Whether this cost is worth it to an individual or not is a question only they can answer.

Anyone know if the Cobalt will support downloadable, user-installable firmware updates? Also, any details on the log software?

Anyone know if the Cobalt will support downloadable, user-installable firmware updates? Also, any details on the log software?

Answer to first question is yes. As to the 2nd question, There will be PC and Mac dive log software included, but the computer itself will store about 600 hours of diving in its internal dive log at a 30 second sample storage interval. You can view the dives graphically and in detail and step through them on the computer itself.

Why are consoles the most popular? Price? "Tradition," where wrist mounted and air-integrated computers are a bit newer and potentially introduce new tech problems?

The Cobalt looks awesome and philosophically I think the 21st century UI facelift is looong overdue in the PCD world (psst, next step for Atomic: wrist-mounted, air integrated and touchscreen :d). But I'm deciding which computer to get in the next month or two, and part of me -- specifically, the part I said "I do" to -- has a hard time justifying another hose and loss of buddy air monitoring on, say, the Oceanic Atoms, for a pretty interface. And paying a higher price for it, to boot!

Also, if the $1200 rumors are true for the Cobalt, I shudder to think what a wireless, wrist-mounted version would run... (and I say that as someone decked out in Atomic gear from fins to reg)

$1200 isn't a 'rumor', that's what they are listing for @ Scubatoys right now. I'm sure wireless will cost even more, but even now, if you look at all the other typical wireless recreational units out now, they are in the $ 2000 price range, so even on a good day wireless ain't gonna be cheap!

$1200 isn't a 'rumor', that's what they are listing for @ Scubatoys right now. I'm sure wireless will cost even more, but even now, if you look at all the other typical wireless recreational units out now, they are in the $ 2000 price range, so even on a good day wireless ain't gonna be cheap!

Are you kidding?! The Oceanic Atom 2.0s were under $1000, and their top of the line OC1 is $1669 at LeisurePro.

I only say it because I've been researching computers to buy, and I've already had to adjust to the sticker shock of considering the upper end of $1000 for a dive computer... I nearly had a heart attack when you said they were double that!

Too bad they weren't out a tad sooner. Got a trip the first week of October; would've been nice to have.

Richard.

I know how you feel. I assumed all winter and spring I would be using one on my trip to Belize last month.

Ron, thanks for confirming and filling in the details. Really glad to hear it will be Mac compatible.

Do you have any details on a protective cover or case for traveling? Last time I talked to Darcy she didn't know.

My LDS guy emailed me earlier this week to tell me Atomic's taking pre-orders now as he knows I'm a fan of all things Atomic. I'll be stopping by to place mine tomorrow.

Are you kidding?! The Oceanic Atom 2.0s were under $1000, and their top of the line OC1 is $1669 at LeisurePro.

I only say it because I've been researching computers to buy, and I've already had to adjust to the sticker shock of considering the upper end of $1000 for a dive computer... I nearly had a heart attack when you said they were double that!

Well, if you check out the following prices, you can see that $ 2000 is a good ballpark figure for the pricing of a high-end recreational dive computer:

Oceanic OC1 list price $1,849.95 LP price $ 1669.95 (3 gas capable)
Sunnto D9 list price $1,898.00 LP price $ 1399.95 (3 gas capable)
Uwatec Galileo Sol list price $1,980.00 LP price $ 1374.95

If you want a high-end recreational dive computer, wireless, and multigas capable (like the Atomic COBALT) you are going to be seeing list prices from authorized dealers @ about $ 2000, just like I said. (I'm actually diving multi-gas capable Cochran Gemini's, which cost substantially MORE than $ 2000 in 'my' 2 or 3 gas configurations!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom