Reliability of Airlines with Checked Luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are flying United from San Francisco to Roatan with a 4 hour connection in Houston.

I'm just curious if most people carry on their dive gear or check it. I'd hate to be stuck without my gear, but I guess I could always rent.

We usually check the BCs, fins, and regs so we don't have to lug that weight around the airports. We always carry on the masks, computers, and camera. I carry on my wetsuit because I am a hard-to-fit size. My husband checks his because he is easy to fit.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Last edited:
As long as you are flying directly to RTB (Roatan) from the US, there have been very few problems over the last few years.

I always tag my bag externally with three extra baggage tags that look like this:

DSC_0051_2.jpg

Anything prescription, including a mask- yes, you should carry it aboard.

I've had pretty good luck overall, but you never know? Last time I landed in Roatan, there was a mob of people in luggage claim from another plane that had landed sometime earlier, but they could not get the luggage door open. After a while, the plane was about to fly back with the old bags still onboard, no new bags, so they could work on it stateside - or so I heard somewhere, but someone finally got it open.

I carry my main reg and as much else as I can in my roll-on. No big deal dragging a 40# bag on wheels. Cameras, laptop, money, passport, meds, the most delicate and most important go in my backpack which never leaves my body even if the laptop has to be gate checked at times.

Now, international flights have lower liabilities for lost luggage, but up to the lower limit - the airline is responsible for whatever expenses you incur if your bag is delayed. Go shopping!! Trip insurance can make that sweeter of course.

Thanks for the info. Really I guess what it comes down to is would I rather be stuck with very little clothes (maybe 1 extra change of clothes) or without my BC & regs? Fins have to be checked due to length.

Tough choice, especially because I read recently that there isn't easy access to laundry facilities at Cocoview and I'm not a huge fan of rewearing clothes a 2nd day, let alone a 3rd if it takes that long to get a missing checked bag.

I haven't worn another BC since my OW check out dives. Maybe it would almost be an positive opportunity to dive with something different if the situation presented itself.

Don't they sell clothes there? If your bag is delayed, and you have to buy, the airline has to pay - and you keep the clothes.

If not, FIBR has clothes for sale in their gift shop across the channel - or did.

Don't they sell clothes there? If your bag is delayed, and you have to buy, the airline has to pay - and you keep the clothes.

If not, FIBR has clothes for sale in their gift shop across the channel - or did.

Something came out recently where the airline is responsible for much more than they previously were. I'm trying to find the bill that was passed, but essentially the former daily limits that the airlines would pay are out the window. If you are traveling for a specific purpose which is interrupted by your lost/delayed bags, then they have to pay up to accommodate your plans. Wedding planned and the brides dress did not arrive, no problem. Diving and your gear was delayed until after you borded your liveaboard, no problem. The airlines are now responsible for something like $3000 to replace luggage that is essential for the purpose of the travel.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 10:56 PM ----------

Here it is...

Baggage delayed? You're entitled to more than a toothbrush and pocket change | Fox News

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 11:00 PM ----------

That being said, I carry-on all of my gear. Most of hers us carried on except for her BCD.

I have used both United (Continental) via Houston and TACA International (via San Salvador) to fly directly into Roatan and have not lost a bag. I usually take my regulator, medications, and computer on board and check the rest.

You can get T-Shirts and swim trunks in West End and Coxen Hole. Many of the shops take credit cards (expect a surcharge). Yes, losing luggage is a pain in the neck when it happens but you can find the essentials on the island.

Something came out recently where the airline is responsible for much more than they previously were. I'm trying to find the bill that was passed, but essentially the former daily limits that the airlines would pay are out the window. If you are traveling for a specific purpose which is interrupted by your lost/delayed bags, then they have to pay up to accommodate your plans. Wedding planned and the brides dress did not arrive, no problem. Diving and your gear was delayed until after you borded your liveaboard, no problem. The airlines are now responsible for something like $3000 to replace luggage that is essential for the purpose of the travel.

Baggage delayed? You're entitled to more than a toothbrush and pocket change | Fox News
Yep, I don't think you could buy new gear that was rentable, but anything you do need to rent, and anything you have to buy - covered. Remember the lower limits for international tho...
The U.S. D.O.T. directive refers to the maximum $3,300 in liability that airlines face for wholly domestic U.S. trips. A lower level of compensation applies to international trips, usually governed by the Montreal Convention, which is currently 1,131 "Special Drawing Rights." (The value of an SDR is calculated daily, but as of this writing one SDR is equivalent to $1.55). But the D.O.T. is going after foreign airlines as well.
If you have bags delayed, hope it's the clothes as those cannot be rented and are fun to buy.

Tough choice, especially because I read recently that there isn't easy access to laundry facilities at Cocoview and I'm not a huge fan of rewearing clothes a 2nd day, let alone a 3rd if it takes that long to get a missing checked bag.

after the first day everyone smells and looks alike....I bring 6 swimsuits since I stay in them most of the time....a little bottle of woolite to wash them in the shower if they get a bit too stinky....they do sell clothing (shorts t-shirts swimsuits) in the gift shop...this is a VERY laid back casual place so no worries if your shirt smells funky or has food spilled on it :wink: plus you don't want to stand out from everyone else by wearing clean clothes :D...Iwill be there June 9th with my 3 tshirts and 3 pair shorts and 6 swimsuits:blinking:

after the first day everyone smells and looks alike....

I think you're going to scare her, now.

Kryssa, all I can tell you, now that I've pieced this thread together with the one you started on CoCoChat, you're in for a real down-shifting as far as your worry levels. CoCoView is where you are going, and this will be a very different experience from anything you have had before.

In the very likely event that your luggage is delayed, the staff has people at the airport who will expedite its recovery. They have contacts all over the airline route system.

People forget clothing, often leaving some behind at resorts, hanging on a line, etc. Most resorts just toss it out. CCV washes the abandoned stuff, waits for inquiries, and then puts it in their "loaner program".

What do I carry on when we make the very simple trip to Roatan? Swim trunks and three t-shirts.

If your gear doesn't show up, the dive shop right at the resort has first quality dive gear. I often leave my stuff at home so I can transport materials for the school children, instead. The rental gear is perfect.

CoCoView is a very unique place, even on Roatan. They have been dealing very well for 30 years with "splendid isolation". For years because Roatan was so remote, then lately because CCV is still on it's own private cay, located 1/2 hr from the airport. Even though Roatan has gotten dramatically more developed, there is not a wide selection of extreme clothing sizes.

In another forum, you said you were most worried about wearing the same blue jeans there and back. Like PH said above, some Woolite and hang it on the clothesline. I'm no expert, but I think the prices mentioned (elsewhere) for laundry were way off, but FIY is the answer.

Parrotheadiver is quite correct. Adjust your sensibilities, this is a dive resort for divers. You will easily get 5x dives a day without much effort. I have seen the occasional (rare) couples dressing for dinner (okay, I saw it once in 30 trips there). On Friday night, when you are packed and ready to go home, it is amazing how different everyone looks. There really should be before and after portraits. Midweek: Happy and wet; Friday Night: Gussied up and sad.

Many people have many, many questions about their upcoming visit to CoCoView. In that (link->) CoCo Chat is so accessible that we CoCoNuts think we have heard every concern... but there is always more!

You will soon join those who have posed honest questions and have expressed real concerns... you will join the rest of us in telling new visitors that there's not much to worry about... except Nitrogen loading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom