Removed Hose Protector from First Stage. Very worried please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... for those of you who are not local to the PNW ... carrying a pony here is common, even among relatively new divers. Some instructors teach their students how to sling them right out of the gate.

Seems like some of the replies in this thread are violating the forum's "flame-free" policy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good ol' Scubaboard, the anger is always bubbling just below the surface.

like other said, hose protectors are not good.

it's the type of gift you give to someone you don't like. Here mother-in-law, have some hose protectors.

I'm not as strongly minded as the others here...
Hose protectors can be useful when your hose risk being bent sharply at the regulator. If you're sure nothing will happen, just remove them.

If you keep them, make sure to clean it well.

To install and remove hose protectors correctly use a tee handle tool with the end threaded for either 7/16 by 20 or 3/8 by 24 thread size and PULL the hoses through. This prevent damaging the hose.

To install and remove hose protectors correctly use a tee handle tool with the end threaded for either 7/16 by 20 or 3/8 by 24 thread size and PULL the hoses through. This prevent damaging the hose.

Some rubber lube or hot soapy water helps too. A UNF coupling nut or retired first stage clamped in a vise will substitute for the tee handle.

Tobin

I have and use hose protectors on several of my regs that have rubber hoses. The old SP rubber ones that fit tight, and those of similar ilk, never had a problem with them or incurred a problem on a hose as a result of using them. They do in fact prevent kinks and damage at the swage fitting.

But not all of my regulators are so equipped and those that are refitted with the Miflex braided hoses are not either (standard protectors do not fit them). Yes, I have had more kinked and damaged, leaking hoses over the years on regulators without hose protectors than with and to reiterate I have never had rotting or decayed or damaged hoses underneath the protector simply from the protector being installed. It is not needed to remove them either in my opinion for inspection, just slide them up away from the fitting when rinsing and during maintenance. That said, I am fully in the camp of they are not really needed, I just do not agree that they are entirely a negative or create any hazard. N

The question- are my hoses possibly damaged by pulling on them.

The answer- possibly. If you are uncomfortable with your assessment...replace them for peace if mind.

All the rest of this thread is crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom