Removing and putting back kit underwater with integrated weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only if you plan on taking it off under water. Why would you want to do such a thing?

I have *maybe* been known to take my bc off to take my wetsuit off so that I wouldn't be the person who peed in said wetsuit :yeahbaby:.

And I use integrated weights, always just kept one arm through and hold it in front of me and its enough to offset wetsuit

I use my integrated weight pockets plus belt. I've had situations where my belt came off and my bc kept me down long enough to get things dealt with. Adding a weight belt may be a good idea, and it gives you more distribution options for trim. Just my thoughts.

I would suggest never taking your right arm out of the shoulder strap.

I have *maybe* been known to take my bc off to take my wetsuit off so that I wouldn't be the person who peed in said wetsuit :yeahbaby:.

And I use integrated weights, always just kept one arm through and hold it in front of me and its enough to offset wetsuit

Wow, that doesn't sound too easy to actually (halfway) duff and don your wetsuit underwater! I'll have to try that some time.

But I'm guessing that's not the time you want to straddle your tank/bc to stay neutral.:rofl3:

My question is should I always carry enough weight on my belt to not be positively buoyant when not wearing my kit ?

You don't have to always carry enough weight on your belt. You can even dive without a belt. However, having a belt gives you more flexibility for a better trim and dealing with tasks requiring you remove your bcd becomes easier. Its easier to have a belt when doing skin dives.
You might as well get a belt. You will surely need it later on in your career.

Wow, that doesn't sound too easy to actually (halfway) duff and don your wetsuit underwater! I'll have to try that some time.

But I'm guessing that's not the time you want to straddle your tank/bc to stay neutral.:rofl3:
So when you do the PADI skill you do it on the bottom, not floating

Oh my quote was not in reference to the whole thread, just melanie's post.

But your question, my instructor had us perform BC doff and don above a sandy bottom. The intent was to stay off the bottom, but minimal contact with the bottom was still ok (like a fin tip here or there). PADI sets minimum standards for the drill, but as I understand, the instructors can set a little higher standard if they choose.

While this does not apply to OW, I believe for DM and IDC, you must completely exchange BC with a partner while maintaining neutral buoyancy midwater.

I only dive weight integrated and since I certified in SoCal we were taught to doff/don. It's easy as long as you keep one arn in the BC and do it carefully.. I've used it twice - once in the Kelp - that one was easy b/c I was so tangled I wouldn't have floated up anyway - in a 7/5 suit.

Actually we were taught to straddle the tank if necessary - hold the BC at or below your level - never overhead.

The recent Padi standard has been to remove and replace 'without losing control of buoyancy, body position and depth'. 'In a reasonably comfortable, fluid, repeatable manner.'

Which pretty much means not grounded to the actual bottom. Or otherwise, who ever wrote that standard sure used a bunch of extra words they didn't need. Not sure if by bottom you meant underwater or planted on the bottom.

A weight belt that stays on you sure makes it easier. Handy in the water as well if you ever need to remove the BC after you pass the class.

The recent Padi standard has been to remove and replace 'without losing control of buoyancy, body position and depth'.

Which pretty much means not grounded to the actual bottom, or otherwise who ever wrote it sure used a bunch of extra words they did not need. Not sure if by bottom you meant underwater on planted on the bottom.

A weight belt that stays on you sure makes it easier. Handy in the water as well if you ever need to remove the BC after you pass the class.
I don’t think it was taught to me correctly then.

Do you have a video demonstrating this skill ?

Back
Top Bottom