Removing and putting back kit underwater with integrated weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just in case anyone wants to know what the standard says.

Dive 5 Performance Requirements:
Underwater:
1. Remove, replace, adjust and secure the scuba kit with minimal assistance in water too deep in which to stand, without losing control of buoyancy, body position and depth.
2. Remove, replace, adjust and secure all or part of the weight system without losing control of buoyancy, body position and depth.
• With weight belt and weight integrated BCD – on the bottom in water too deep in which to stand.
• With any weight system that requires reassembly after weights are removed – in shallow water.

Related--why would someone who could barely swim be there anyway?
My current wife is a relatively poor swimmer and was scared to try SCUBA because of that and because she is claustrophobic, however, she pressed on and became an EXCELLENT diver and one of the best buddies I have ever had. She is still a poor swimmer on the surface but below she is in her element. Who knows how these things work.

Only if you plan on taking it off under water. Why would you want to do such a thing?
In the late eighties I was young, dumb, and single. I was diving with a young lady off of the coast of Saudi Arabia. We were at about 50 feet and she descended to the bottom about 10 feet below us. She started taking off her BCD and then her wetsuit, and then her bathing suit. Not many things catch me off guard, but this did. I felt it almost mandatory that I remove my BCD with integrated weights. I wasn't wearing a wetsuit. After a brief while we donned our gear and then surfaced shortly thereafter. When we approached the boat, most of the gang were on the side of the boat cheering. One of them was holding up her wetsuit, which had gotten away from us when we weren't looking and surfaced ahead of us. We got aboard and we all had a good laugh (mostly to hide our embarrassment).

I would not recommend this, however, if you ever encounter a mermaid, you made need to succumb to the urge to remove your BCD (integrated weights or not).

Cheers -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom