Removing BC for long surface swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess if I were in the middle of the atlantic swimming from the Bahamas to Florida, I would probably remove my tank, get rid of my regs, and simply keep the BC on, and dump the weights. My guess is that I would be more streamlined for swimming. The BC is back inflate, and likely will not drag me as much without the 35 lb tank on top of it.

HowieDean:
If I know I’m going to have to do a long surface swim I like to inflate my BC, remove it, and use it like a “kick board”

My wife likes to do that. When she does it it's in nice conditions, usually a freshwater pond. The weight on her person is no more than what she would wear for a skin-dive so she is not dependent on her BC for flotation.

Pete

Taking off the bc and pumping it full for a long surface is ok. If you're ---> properly weighted, keeping the weight belt on is ok too.

Back
Top Bottom