Removing CYAN Cast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Like most 'Happy Snapper' divers a lot of my Underwater pics have the Blue cast, caused by Red light be filtered out at depth .. resulting in over powering CYAN tint.
I know those with multiple scaffolding rigs holding enough lights for a pop concert don't have this problem, but for those diving with just compacts ... may be of use.

I have used several methods to deal with this CYAN cast using Photoshop including ... including well known ones such as:

1) use channel mixer to move green or blue into the red channel, to get rid of the cyan cast.
2) use Image>Adjust>Hue/Sat to bump the saturation.

or

1) convert to Lab mode, pick something that should be gray, and set it's a and b values to zero to make it neutral.
2) move the magenta end of the a curve horizontally to straighten the curve,
3) make both the a and b curves steeper to add more colour. being careful to keep your neutral points in the same place
4) adjust the Lightness curve to get more contrast, in particular a clean black and white.

The latter has been made much easier and with excellent results using a PS add-in called "Curvemeister" . I was asked by it's author to provide as typical pic with CYAN cast, and he would step though it as tutorial ......... he did so, and has even provided this as a video .......

I'm not in any way saying the pic is great, just one taken of me at the Prop of the Thistlegorm, the end result is a very significant improvement.

Underwater Blues - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom