Removing Rust from Dive Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had some pretty impressive results with electrolytic rust removal.

(can't post the URL, but just google "electrolytic rust removal" there is a good instructables page that comes up.)

I managed to rig a system from odds and ends on my workbench. (The only thing I needed to go out and buy was a small box of washing soda.) Once you have it set up, you can leave it go overnight and it will take care of the rust--even rust in deep pits--without removing any of the original metal.

I've had some pretty impressive results with electrolytic rust removal.

(can't post the URL, but just google "electrolytic rust removal" there is a good instructables page that comes up.)

I managed to rig a system from odds and ends on my workbench. (The only thing I needed to go out and buy was a small box of washing soda.) Once you have it set up, you can leave it go overnight and it will take care of the rust--even rust in deep pits--without removing any of the original metal.

I totally forgot about this! I used a battery charger, a five gallon bucket, and some regular baking soda and tossed in a piece of scrap angle iron and my project- a rusty crescent wrench, and it worked! The only problem was you could tell that there was oxidation previously present but it was more of a black patina (that mostly wiped off) rather than the obvious rust. But the wrench looked like it was made of rust beforehand! After, it looked like a black oxide finished wrench. I oiled it up and it is still going strong- somewhere.

Just observe the polarity with the setup and you should be good to go!

I use Eagle One Never Dull...it removes rust and corrosion instantly. You can buy it at Hell-Mart...uh I mean Wal-Mart....it gets brake dust off yer wheels really quick too

Last edited:
SOG pup knife. I use it fir diving. But it's rusted now because they don't have a Kerch hole in the scabbard to release water. It's the camo coated version so one would think no Rust. Wrong. Called their customer service dept and they told me the knife should skwdys be put back in the carboard scabbard after use!!! Can toy believe that? Better boycott SOG. Thier knifes rust and they told me ..."too bad"!!!

Stainless steels aren't all the same. 316L is generally the most rust resistant but doesn't make good knife blades, it doesn't hold an edge very long. Most high quality stainless steel knife blades are made from 440C stainless steel. It will form rust to some degree if not cleaned and treated with a rust preventive.

440A, having the least amount of carbon in it, is the most stain-resistant; 440C, having the most, is the strongest and is usually considered more desirable in knifemaking than 440A, except for diving or other salt-water applications.
The trick is determining what the knife is made of before buying it or just spend the big bucks on titanium

The wire wheel is as bad as steel wool.
Even a stainless steel wire wheel will cause rust if it was previously used on regular steel as it picks up bits of the regular steel and transfers it to the stainless steel blade.

Buff it on a grinder with a buffing wheel.

Muriatic acid eats the heck out of rust but it is FAST and dangerous. Forget I said that, it's not very safe.

For steel , SS steel generaly always use diluted phosphoric acid it also prevent corrosion by passiveness (-zation= making treating surface chemical unactive for chemical reactions for sometime ) Read :TREATMENT

(it is also in Coca-Cola :))))) (not soda btw!))

second important :

- NEVER TOUCH SS STEEL WITH NORMAL STEEL because it will rust!!!

- for cleaning use brass brush

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom