Removing stickers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I need some suggestions on how to quickly remove the old stickers from scuba tanks. There is a product on the market for removing bumper stickers from vehicles. Can it be used safely on aluminum or unpainted steel?

jbd, have you tried wd40? it worked real well on getting a sticker off my motorcycle

Peel off what you can then use WD40 and let it soak. it will soften up the glue to where you can wipe it off. The product you were thinking of is Goo gone but no sense in buying it when you prob have WD in the house.

Stickers can be removed with a heat gun set at 300 deg. F or Hair Dryer on High.
Peel off sticker then use Alcohol or Nail polish Remover to remove glue.

Scruffy Diver:
Stickers can be removed with a heat gun set at 300 deg. F or Hair Dryer on High.
Peel off sticker then use Alcohol or Nail polish Remover to remove glue.
Aluminum tanks should NEVER be exposed to heat. Doing so incurs the risk that the tank will be weakened and could possibly explode. Specifically, any AL tank exposed to temperatures in excess of 265F should be hydro'd before being filled, any tank exposed to temperatures in excess of 350F should be condemned. TEMPERATURE EXPOSURE

Steel tanks can better withstand the heat but there are easier ways to remove stickers - usually a simple razor blade scraper will peel the sticker off and WD40 will loosen many adhesives without damaging the finish. If that doesn't work, remember that there are worse things than a little dirt on the outside of your tank.

I just use a razor blade scraper to remove old VIP stickers. A little patience and a steady hand can even have the thing off in one piece without damaging the tank.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
I just use a razor blade scraper to remove old VIP stickers. A little patience and a steady hand can even have the thing off in one piece without damaging the tank.
Ber :lilbunny:

Yes, we have one and it takes stickers off cleanly in seconds without damaging the tank.

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up trying a non-acetone nail polish remover, just to see if it would work. It worked well, but in the interest of protecting my beautiful, manly nails I'm going to get one of those razor scrapers that Ber mentioned.

I did wonder briefly about using a hair dryer to soften the glue but decided against that for the reasons posted by reefraff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom