rental car and insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I DON'T CARE IF YOUR CREDIT CARD OR HOME INSURANCE COVERS YOU OR NOT, ALWAYS GET FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUST ME, THIS IS THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE SPEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't want to spend AT LEAST one full day of your valuable vacation time dealing with the police, car rental and insurance people, (should something happen), GET THE FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The minimum price of getting the full coverage insurance, which I think a lot of the rental places make manditory nowdays anyway, is far less than the hassles you will encounter without it.

Your homeowners or Auto insurance in the US WILL NOT cover you while in MX. There are specific exclusions for MX.

I sometimes travel to Cozumel solo and I rent a car. I always rent from Margarita at Rentadora Isis. Her price includes the needed insurance!

Glad to hear you had a pleasant experience with Matgarita, I have never used her before and will be renting from her this Monday.

I have looked at Orbitz Hotel with Air, Orbitz Hotel with Car, and then all three. Best deals I found where Air/Hotel. Iris and Less pay will rent you a car for $36 a day with all coverage.

I DON'T CARE IF YOUR CREDIT CARD OR HOME INSURANCE COVERS YOU OR NOT, ALWAYS GET FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUST ME, THIS IS THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE SPEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't want to spend AT LEAST one full day of your valuable vacation time dealing with the police, car rental and insurance people, (should something happen), GET THE FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The minimum price of getting the full coverage insurance, which I think a lot of the rental places make manditory nowdays anyway, is far less than the hassles you will encounter without it.

As a career insurance broker I concur. 99% of USA auto carriers do not extend liability to Mexico. Aside, should you get into an accident the insurance taken with the rental will cover damage to the vehicle without consideration of a deductiable...

We usually have a good size group going so we need a big car. So far the best I have found is to rent one of the suburbans from Less Pay. They will send a driver to pick you (me) up from the airport then whisk you off to the office. Then I drive back and pick up everyone else. Usually no more than a 20 minute wait until I get back. In return we get full sized vehicle to carry 6 people with luggage for 75 bucks a day including insurance. Considering the AC works just fine I think it is a good deal.
Before I rented for the first time down there I did talk to my insurance agent. I was told that Mx. was one place they recommend getting local insurance since Allstate couldn't do anything for me down there if something did happen.

BTW I have dove at the Dive Stop a few times. That is my old high school a few miles away. Glad to see someone else from the area here on the board.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity what does full coverage run?

Less-Pay charges for a Geo Tracker, $20/day including liability, plus $15 for full coverage...$35/per day total rental charge. (maybe taxes added)

Got the Less Pat deal for 36 total with all insurance in May. Odd though I tried to get a 6 passenger vehicle, ie suburban,from them before and they said they didnt have one even though it was on the site. I got stuck renting a minivan from Executive. They were really nice, but alot more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom