Rental tanks leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corrosion at the O-Ring gland or O-Ring itself. Tank should be drained and Inspected.

Some dive shops in BVI fastidiously maintain their gear. Others don't. There are also non-dive "sports" shops who buy gear and rent it out to tourists, and I am guessing they may not have a rigorous maintenance schedule. If you are having an endemic problem, I'd think about calling another shop.

Are you willing to name and shame?

Tanks at the bottom of the stack don't get used very much and leaks can be missed especially if they're not in the water often.
It's a busy time and they're using everything.

Are the shops on Tortola still using those Al 72's? Safaris, Baskin and Blue Water had 100's.

next time you are on vacation in a third world country look at the tank. last trip i was om did not have current hydro's or vips. since they are not in the USA they might not be required by law to do these test.

it is known for places to not maintain some of the equipment as well as they should, but it gets used so much so offten they might not have the time to do it. fast fills and under 3000 psi fills are the norm sometimes. just gives these tanks to the peolpe with better air consumption on the dive boat and trade them for full tanks.

this is just part of the course sometimes. my father has seen a shop in another country spray WD40 onto the tank valve threads and screw it back into the tank. i know i would not want that tank for myself, but we as fellow divers should say something when we see this happen to the shops manager or owner.

Are the shops on Tortola still using those Al 72's? Safaris, Baskin and Blue Water had 100's.

Baskin and U/W Safaris went out of business years ago. So far as I know (since Dive Tortola went out of business) all BVI dive ops now use Al 80s.

next time you are on vacation in a third world country look at the tank.

Who are you calling a third world country? BVI is the 24th richest country (in GDP terms) per head of population in the world - two spots ahead of Canada, and better than 29 of the 50 US States.

Definitely agree on checking the tank though, wherever you go.

I was renting from JVD Scuba. At $10 a tank to boot...

I usually use Blue Water Divers but he did not have tanks for me this trip. Keith from BWD has always been super friendly with me and my family. There is 4 divers in my family and since we have a house down here he always gives us a generous local discount, on tanks, free weights and free boat rack. I tried to talk to JVD Scuba but was offered nothing in the way of a deal and told "it cost me $4 just to fill the tanks."

Unfortunately BWD didn't have tanks for us this trip. JVD Scuba didn't have tanks everyday either, although we told them at the beginning of the trip we wanted 6 tanks a day.

I have never had any issues with Keith's tanks at BWD. He fills them in a fresh water dunk tank too so they are always a real 3000 fill.

It is what it is, at least we were able to dive.

To be fair Keith from BWD said he had the same issues till he started using a thread tap on each VIP to clean his threads.

Who are you calling a third world country? BVI is the 24th richest country (in GDP terms) per head of population in the world - two spots ahead of Canada, and better than 29 of the 50 US States.

i did not call your place a third world country LOL.
i did not name any place for that matter. but the readers know what small islands and countries i am talking about.

so i am sorry if i offened you Rhone Man. my appoligies

To be fair Keith from BWD said he had the same issues till he started using a thread tap on each VIP to clean his threads.

So is he using a tap from a tap and die set, or is a tool you can buy from one of the equipment manufactors?

i have seen a tool on ebay b4 that will clean the Oring seat itself, but it dont touch the threads. if there is a tool out there like that i want to get my hands on one to help keep the threads cleaner on my tanks

this is just part of the course sometimes.
"Par for the course" is a golf reference meaning, roughly, "normal in that place or situation."

Back
Top Bottom