Rental truck not vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am happy to report that during our recent two week trip to Bonaire our rental truck was not vandalized. Our villa was not broken into nor were we held up and relieved of our cash.
I admit we may be tempting fate, but in a moment of weakness we rebooked for 3 weeks next year.

I would encourage other Bonaire visitors to relate their positive experiences. :D

SB is no place to be posting positive, uplifting, cheerful comments. It is just simply not allowed! This kind of crazy talk will eventually lead to people admitting they use recreational BCDs and...dare I say...Split-Fins! Check again...perhaps your rental truck ran aground on to a reef and you just didn't notice.

Kidding of course...Glad to hear you had a fun trip!

I've been enjoying the thread. In honesty, I like hearing all the good, bad & the ugly, to enjoy the trip, yet keep safe. I will be going for the first time at the end of July with a large group. I've got a couple (silly) questions. I've heard about he missing sunglasses,... I wear prescription glasses & need them to drive (I have been put down as a driver because in the condo of women I will be in, I am the only one that can drive a manual transmission), are these commonly taken? Also what side of the road do they drive on? I don't want to make a mistake & cause an accident...

I've been enjoying the thread. In honesty, I like hearing all the good, bad & the ugly, to enjoy the trip, yet keep safe. I will be going for the first time at the end of July with a large group. I've got a couple (silly) questions. I've heard about he missing sunglasses,... I wear prescription glasses & need them to drive (I have been put down as a driver because in the condo of women I will be in, I am the only one that can drive a manual transmission), are these commonly taken? Also what side of the road do they drive on? I don't want to make a mistake & cause an accident...

I wear prescription sunglasses as well and I am the driver when on Bonaire. I typically put my sunglasses way underneath the drivers seat where there is a little area that dips down. 13 trips and it has worked well so far...an alternative would be to get a waterproof canister that hold the glasses.

driving is on the right. identifying what street signs mean is another matter. It took me a few years to figure that out. Don't get me started on the traffic circles...but know that if you are in the traffic circle you may NOT have the right of way. depends which direction the thru road is going. But nobody obeys the traffic circle rules anyway

Right side of the road. Prescription sunglasses could get stolen. You should think about contacts, taking old glasses or maybe some sort of small case that will clip onto your BC.

By the way, very little traffic so there is a good opportunity for some of your friends to learn to drive stick there.

I'm glad to hear negative remarks about Bonaire on SB. That means there will be fewer visitors in future so I won't have to share the reefs.

---------- Post added April 29th, 2014 at 04:49 PM ----------

The traffic circles are easy. The person already in the circle has right of way over those pulling on.

I wear prescription sunglasses as well and I am the driver when on Bonaire. I typically put my sunglasses way underneath the drivers seat where there is a little area that dips down. 13 trips and it has worked well so far...an alternative would be to get a waterproof canister that hold the glasses.

driving is on the right. identifying what street signs mean is another matter. It took me a few years to figure that out. Don't get me started on the traffic circles...but know that if you are in the traffic circle you may NOT have the right of way. depends which direction the thru road is going. But nobody obeys the traffic circle rules anyway

Thanks for the recommendations. My glasses are the "Transition style" (turn dark in sunlight). The hiding spot or canister is a good idea. I wear pocket shorts over my wetsuit, so that would work. I'm used to traffic circles,... we have 1 in my town & it is essentially a free- for- all.

You can rent auto-trans...It's extra but we got 1 of the 2 rentals we had for our condo last summer in an auto-trans.......

The traffic circles are easy. The person already in the circle has right of way over those pulling on.

No, that is incorrect. The person that is traveling in the direction of the "thru" road has the right of way. If you are in the traffic circle then you are supposed to stop for this person. Not the most logical but...

Right side of the road. Prescription sunglasses could get stolen. You should think about contacts, taking old glasses or maybe some sort of small case that will clip onto your BC.

By the way, very little traffic so there is a good opportunity for some of your friends to learn to drive stick there.

I'm glad to hear negative remarks about Bonaire on SB. That means there will be fewer visitors in future so I won't have to share the reefs.

---------- Post added April 29th, 2014 at 04:49 PM ----------

Unfortunately, my prescription has changed & I just got new "street" & "work" glasses a few months ago. I've never worn contacts & my masks also have my prescription in them (would look a bit silly wearing my mask to the dive site :D). I wear pocket shorts over my wetsuits for storage & the canister idea that Scott from LI had sounds like a viable idea. I will be diving a CCR with a BP &W, so not much storage.

It's possible maybe 1 or 2 of the other women can learn to drive the trucks,.. who knows. You don't want to be there at the end of July then. Our dive shop is bringing 37 people. Thank goodness most, if not all are good, careful divers (no beginners that I am aware of). Should prove interesting, if not fun.

---------- Post added April 29th, 2014 at 04:04 PM ----------

You can rent auto-trans...It's extra but we got 1 of the 2 rentals we had for our condo last summer in an auto-trans.......

I'm not putting the trip together,... but was told they will all be manuals.

Tammy

By the way, when you buy your marine park tags (a little disc you z-tie to a d-ring), and they give you that little paper receipt, hold onto it. You can take it and show it when you want to go in Washington-Slagbaii Park, and that saves you $10.

Your biggest road-related shock will be the price of refilling the truck tank late in the week.

Automatics are available on Bonaire, cost substantially more, and usually won't be provided unless you specifically book one in advance.

Richard.

Tammy

By the way, when you buy your marine park tags (a little disc you z-tie to a d-ring), and they give you that little paper receipt, hold onto it. You can take it and show it when you want to go in Washington-Slagbaii Park, and that saves you $10.

Your biggest road-related shock will be the price of refilling the truck tank late in the week.

Automatics are available on Bonaire, cost substantially more, and usually won't be provided unless you specifically book one in advance.

Richard.

Thank you for the info, Richard. Really appreciate it. From what I've been told, all the trucks will be manuals. I am not putting the trip together, so gotta go with what we are provided. Thank goodness my dad taught me to drive a manual from the get- go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom