Rental truck not vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's basically what I do, too. However, I have noted damage to the surface of the lenses. Not really able to state that it is related to accompanying me on dives because I tend to be a bit hard on my glasses anyway. Nevertheless, it is possible that the coating on the lenses are "bubbled" off in a process somehow related to the major pressure changes involved. Doubt the problem is water-related, per se, and as I said, may not even be dive related.

Working with abrasives daily as I do, and also being big, rough and clumsy, I'm pretty hard on eyeglasses myself.

I do toss an old plastic bottle of water in the truck to rinse the salt off my glasses and camera lens. Salt X-stalls are not friendly to any lenses. Usually we freeze several bottles of water to throw in the truck for rinsing and rehydration.

I doubt the salt water or pressure have any effect. Still, I use an old pair that is already scratched up anyway, that way if I do something stupid to them my good glasses are back in the room.

Aren't any of you finding rusting of the hinges on your eyeglasses? I ask because I wear my sunglasses like a hairband from time to time. On one of my recent trips, where heat and humidity were off the charts, when I got to next destination one of the arms was frozen. Rust!

There is a big differnence in the materials used in prescription glasses and inexpensive sun glasses. High quality SS screws cost a lot more than cheap plated steel ones. Good quality SS does not rust.

I worried about corrosion of some sort, but it has never happened across multiple dives/trips/years. May be just the materials of which my particular glasses are made. Also, I always rinse them after every return to the lodging.

One time, at Bonaire, my DH had a ratty worn out T-Shirt with a hole in it stolen out of our unlocked windows rolled down truck. What is funny is the loose change visible in the cup holder was not touched ! Go figure ??? This was the only incident in all the trips to Bonaire. The only other things we have discovered missing has been Stress, Insomnia and dreary days . We also have MacGyvered Tank backpacks to store our stuff in. Ie: sunglasses, keys, cash, etc,. I even take along my very lightweight fabric coverup along with me. A quick fresh water rinse of it all is all that is needed upon returning to the truck. If I know I need to wear the coverup into a store on the way back to our B&B I just hold it out the window for a couple of minutes while we are driving.

You know, it was probably some animal like a bird that took the shirt.

If it was a thief, they probably didn't touch the change because it's hard to spend and use down there- and not very common. Moving coins is heavy and expensive- that's why the US military did away with coins in deployed locations. You get 5 cent gift "cards" instead of a nickel, for example. They looked like the old fad of pogs.

Back in the 70's I was in Italy for 6 months. Coins were so scarce at the time (metal value exceed face value for the smaller denominations, so......low worth coins disappeared quickly) that we were being given candy instead of small change.

My sunglasses were not "cheap". (Somwhat insulted here) That said, obviously the hinges were. :)

Some pretty funny stuff here. My two cents:

I think I found the stolen air in Little Cayman a few weeks back. A guy who knew everything and had been everywhere ran out of air so fast that he must have been using the stolen half of air in his tank.

I grew up in New Jersey which has/had a lot of circles. The best thing to do is get a sign which reads "Rented and I have collision insurance" and paste it on the side of your car or truck. Nobody will get in your way.

I found the Stress and Insomnia in Tucson last week and plan on giving it back. Do you have a shipping address?

Last time I was in Bonaire I did not have any problems, but then again I go 235 miles into Mexico by car about a week a month and don't have any problems there either. Houston is another story, but I will keep it positive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom