Rental Truck Vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most suggest leaving nothing visible, not emptying your car at every stop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you look at that link it says clearly in bold font "Don't leave valuables in your car"

The petty thieves here simply watch people put their valuables in the trunk and then go get it once the coast is clear.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 11:53 AM ----------

I have not been to any other place where it was common practice, much less recommended by rental car companies, to leave your car unlocked and windows down because theft was essentially an accepted part of their culture.

I have had rental cars in other very popular central American destinations that have secondary locking devices on the gear shift so they don't steal your car. Have also had items stolen and been advised not to leave your car if you have valuables in them.

Also let me be clear, I am not defending what is going on in Bonaire, just stating that it is a common problem everywhere and people tend to blow it way out of proportion on Bonaire for some reason.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 12:09 PM ----------

If you look at what I wrote, it says clearly in normal font "most".

You got me! Well I just checked the Memphis PD website and it says to lock valuables in your trunk...I guess our crooks are just a little smarter! :shakehead:

I can't think of a single other destination where every single trip report or advice includes the warnings to leave nothing and leave windows down. Everything about Bonaire has that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've said it before(& irritated some here) but I'll say it again, it's overrated.....Not trying to knock the place, but I'm calling a spade a spade----IMO...

EDIT.:...I'm duckin' right now, so FIRE AWAY......:)

I can't think of a single other destination where every single trip report or advice includes the warnings to leave nothing and leave windows down. Everything about Bonaire has that.

Can you think of a single other destination where almost every diver on the island drives a rental vehicle to a shore diving site where there are likely only a few other such vehicles parked there at any given time and there will inevitably be a period when all of the drivers will be out on their dives, leaving the vehicles unattended? Bonaire has a unique situation with those iconic rental trucks.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 12:16 PM ----------

We almost exclusively dive in the "less-developed parts of the tropical world". (I would argue that Bonaire is actually quite developed by tropical world standards but that is another topic all together). Generally rental cars are readily identifiable in these areas. I have not been to any other place where it was common practice, much less recommended by rental car companies, to leave your car unlocked and windows down because theft was essentially an accepted part of their culture. many tropical areas will have extremely harsh penalties for theft as opposed to Bonaire's cavalier attitude toward the problem.They will also have a police presence to ensure that tourists do not become easy prey to thieves. Obviously, Bonaire does not care and many divers are fine with the inconveniences this brings, especially since violent crime is generally absent. I just find it a shame. I love the place, it costs them a lot of money in lost tourist dollars, and it wouldn't take much to address the issue effectively.

Please name a few of these places you have in mind where the police are so vigilant and where almost every single tourist has a rental car that is expected to be left unattended at remote dive sites.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 12:17 PM ----------

I think it's very prudent advice from the rental companies to leave windows down and doors unlocked. I recall many people doing that in the beach areas of Southern California when I lived there.

If there are such other destinations let me know! I love the freedom of doing everything on your own schedule.

I've said it before(& irritated some here) but I'll say it again, it's overrated.....Not trying to knock the place, but I'm calling a spade a spade----IMO...

EDIT.:...I'm duckin' right now, so FIRE AWAY......:)

Depends what you are rating. From the standpoint of everything except the DIYW (do it your way) diving opportunity. there is better to be had. Not much big life. Not much variety in reef structure. Food is on the expensive side. Most of the night life is UW. Weather and seas are pretty good but that can be had elsewhere. Heck, I'd love to find other options with comparable diving freedom and convenience. What do you suggest? Bug Island?

I have to say that, over the years I've been here on SB, I have read enough of the problems with Bonaire (not just truck break-ins, but theft from rooms) that it has gone to the bottom of my list of possible destinations. I wonder how many others have had that reaction?

stealing from tourists on an island that depends on tourism is an unfortunate past time. authorities not doing anything about it is outright stupid. as others have pointed out, it would not take much to take care of the problem. there is no doubt that this costs Bonaire a significant amount of tourist dollars - way more than it would cost to take care of the problem. Our family of four divers has not been going back to bonaire because of this not-so charming aspect of the local culture. plenty of other places where filing police reports and lugging all your belongings with you on each dive are not part of your typical vacation.

It's been an ongoing problem in Hawaii for years. Breaking into rental cars must be a full time job for some locals. It's not a high priority for the police. A couple surveilance cameras and 1 patrol car dedicated one day a week to respond to the cameras would probably cut it down by 75%, just not happening

We almost exclusively dive in the "less-developed parts of the tropical world". (I would argue that Bonaire is actually quite developed by tropical world standards but that is another topic all together). Generally rental cars are readily identifiable in these areas. I have not been to any other place where it was common practice, much less recommended by rental car companies, to leave your car unlocked and windows down because theft was essentially an accepted part of their culture. many tropical areas will have extremely harsh penalties for theft as opposed to Bonaire's cavalier attitude toward the problem.They will also have a police presence to ensure that tourists do not become easy prey to thieves. Obviously, Bonaire does not care and many divers are fine with the inconveniences this brings, especially since violent crime is generally absent. I just find it a shame. I love the place, it costs them a lot of money in lost tourist dollars, and it wouldn't take much to address the issue effectively.

I can't compare statistics but I've lots of stories and known a few people who have had their cars broken into and burglarized in the conote parking lots in the Yucatan. I don't have vast cenote experience, about 20 dives, but have never seen a police car patrol these lots. What's odd is that most of these sites have an admission fee which means either owners are letting locals cruise in, or locals are sneaking in on foot, or other divers are doing it.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 12:13 PM ----------

Cruise lines cancel stops at Roatan in Honduras - Telegraph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom