Renting a car and driving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My idea of a relaxing vacation is letting someone else do the work, not driving a car like I have to do every day back home. I will drive somewhere if there is no other practical way to get there.

I stayed at Hotel Cozumel in 2015. While I was there, my buddy and I rented a car. I drove the loop around the island. There was nothing difficult about the paperwork or road rules that I remember. I don't remember things being significantly different than driving in the States. Another diver from our group had rented a vehicle parked it too near to a "no parking" zone in town. They put a boot on it, and he had to go to the police station and pay in cash. If memory serves, I think the cops tried to shake him down for extra money. I vaguely remember it sounding somewhat shady. @1bubbleoff does my recollection match yours?

My take away would be to double check you're allowed to park wherever you park. Don't even get near a no-parking zone. I only parked at the hotel and a restaurant on the dark side of the island which had its own marked parking spaces.

Also, watch out for scams at the gas pump. I've repeatedly heard that those guys will try to scam tourists for a bunch of extra money when we refill. You'll have to be assertive with those guys to ensure you can see the price on the pump and the actual volume of gas that's pumped etc.

If you end up getting taxis, I've heard that you get a much cheaper price by picking up a taxi a block or two away from the tourist areas. However, when we got taxis we did not do that. I'm sure we paid more than locals do, I think it was like $5usd for the 850-meter ride from the mega to the hotel. Worth it though, carrying groceries for four at night would have been a hassle.

lol...Close enough...I can assure you...faking a coronary event while "paying the fine" at the police station WILL expedite the process....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bubs

We rented a jeep for an afternoon and had a great time. Drove "the loop" and stopped several times. Just get insurance and pay attention.
At the very southern end of the island we saw a croc hiding in the mangroves. Threw our lunch leftovers in the pond and watched him gobble them up.
Stopped at Playa Palancar, had ONE margarita and enjoyed the calm beach. Nice change from farther north.
Saw stuff I had not seen in my previous 7-8 trips to Coz.

My husband and I have travelled there for the past 2 years and have rented a car both times and would never think otherwise. We enjoy the leisure of coming and going on our own time even if we don't use it every day. Free parking at our resort and everywhere else in and outside of downtown. No issues besides lots of scooters which have not caused us any problems. We also rent a Harley and travel the entire island without issues. We did get pulled over from speeding this year but just gave us a warning and the police was friendly with given respect on both ends. Just rent a little car to make commuting easier.

Back
Top Bottom