Renting a car and driving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're looking for a taxi to take you around the island and stay with you, ask here or on Cozumel 4 You facebook forum and you'll get personal recommendations and their phone numbers. For just getting around town, well you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a taxi so we just pick one off the street. Here are some taxi tips.

- rate charts and zones are available, though not always easy to read
- there is a small extra charge for calling a taxi or ones waiting at stands
- rates are per cab not per person
- ask or confirm rate with driver before getting in
- taxi drivers almost never have change (it's a ploy)
- pay in pesos, you'll get a horrible exchange rate for dollars
- most drivers are quiet and polite

One other thing to remember that most people fail to do: you are charged from when you got on to when you get off, regardless if you are in a group. So if, for example, 4 people get into a cab at caleta and 2 get off at Villa Blanca and pay their fare, the remaining occupants who get off at El Cantil will pay the full fare from caleta and not the difference between the two. That may seem fair when it's strangers and a big distance but less so when it is friends in town getting off a block or two from one another. I always recommend that folks get off together and walk the extra block or two so you don't end up paying double (or more)

Last edited:
Okay! Some of what was said above scared the living daylights out of me. So, I'm going to follow-up with, does anybody know of a trusted cab driver that they can recommend in Coz or just pick one off the street and hope for the best?
Virtually all my dealings with Cozumel cab drivers have been positive, and I just flag the next empty one that comes by. I do pay in pesos, though.

I almost always rent a car in Cozumel. I like the freedom it gives me. Most trips I stay in the Corpus Christi area so overnight parking is never an issue. My husband had an accident years ago that was settled quickly and painlessly. I am careful, follow the rules and do not drink and drive. My last trip we stayed at Hotel Mary Carmen. It was impossible to park a rental so I went without. It was a great trip but I missed having a car. Getting around was much more of an ordeal. I didnt get to places I normally go. I dont know if I would go without a car again.

One other thing to remember that most people fail to do: you are charged from when you got on to when you get off, regardless if you are in a group. So if, for example, 4 people get into a cab at caleta and 2 get off at Villa Blanca and pay their fare, the remaining occupants who get off at El Cantil will pay the full fare from caleta and not the difference between the two. That may seem fair when it's strangers and a big distance but less so when it is friends in town getting off a block or two from one another. I always recommend that folks get off together and walk the extra block or two so you don't end up paying double (or more)

Did not know that...thanks.

I don't think that's true of the Napoleonic Code. I am not a lawyer but I grew up in Louisiana.

You're right. My err. Rather I should have stated that accidents are effectively handled that way. You'll be detained until they have determined who is at fault and shows financial responsibility.

Is that how it is supposed to work? We have done that many times, usually coming back from the caleta in fact. We just ask the fare to the distant location. Then we ask the driver to stop at a hotel on the way and let someone out (or sometimes it's us). No payment is made to the driver at this point. The agreed fare is given to the driver at the end. No driver has ever objected. Technically, the driver could charge a small fee for "waiting" but none has for such a short delay.

I have never had a problem with taxis in Mexico.
I do follow this rule.
" CONFIRM cost of trip with driver BEFORE getting in and pay in pesos"
I alway have small bills so change is not a problem.
The wife normally get a spanish lesson when in the taxi. There is a lot to be learned from the driver. I alway look forward to them on my trips.

I have never had a problem with taxis in Mexico.
I do follow this rule.
" CONFIRM cost of trip with driver BEFORE getting in and pay in pesos"
I alway have small bills so change is not a problem.
The wife normally get a spanish lesson when in the taxi. There is a lot to be learned from the driver. I alway look forward to them on my trips.
Many cab drivers are students, so often the language lesson goes both ways. Repeat after me (phonetically): Como say deesay in Espanol <English word>?

We always rent a car/truck for our entire trip. always have.

for YEARS we got beaters from Less-Pay (no longer in business). 2 years ago we used ACE/FOX and had a very good experience with them, will probably use them again this year. Last year we got TOTALLY SCREWED by Hertz ... good name, when you get the final bill, it really hurtz! They quoted us one price, and at the end, it was nearly 3TIMES that price ... no recourse could be taken ... "fees" :(

as someone else said DO NOT skip the insurance. I think they have a law now where you supposedly can't, but some companies may not play by the rules.

I've had an accident on the island, with minimal insurance, it was a freaking nightmare. I spent the entire day at the police station "being detained" until it was all worked out, and it ended up costing over 3 large to get it all taken care of. ... get the insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom