Repairing wetsuits with tire patches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChangeAgent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was patching a hole in my wife’s bicycle tire today and this made me wonder if you could patch wetsuit that way. Has anybody any experience with that? Use the patches and the glue you use for fixing tires.

Thanks.

Interesting idea. I'd be concerned the adhesive would basically melt the neoprene.

It would not be the end of the world if the patch failed on a wetsuit, (not a drysuit though) but how big is the hole? I have silently thought about iron on patches, like those used for jeans, but did not have the courage to ask.

You should get another piece of neoprene and use Aquaseal. The point is to melt the neoprene to fuse it together. Same proceedure that I would use to repair my wing. I have been fortunate to only have punctured a glove (with a drop point knife, lol) which I have not been able to repair. That's all right because I've made them fingerless for tropical water on my left hand, where I have my gopro on a light monkey goodman handle. It makes it more comfortable. They're the gloves I'm wearing in my profile picture.

Interesting idea. I'd be concerned the adhesive would basically melt the neoprene.
Yeah wondered about that too, as no ingredients are mentioned. I might try on a old piece.

I use neoprene and Aquaseal, sometimes just a little Aquaseal

Yeah I know that one, thanks. Problem is Aquaseal dries out so fast after opening.

It would not be the end of the world if the patch failed on a wetsuit, (not a drysuit though) but how big is the hole? I have silently thought about iron on patches, like those used for jeans, but did not have the courage to ask.

Tried ironing long ago on a test piece, not to be recommended.

You should get another piece of neoprene and use Aquaseal. The point is to melt the neoprene to fuse it together. Same proceedure that I would use to repair my wing. I have been fortunate to only have punctured a glove (with a drop point knife, lol) which I have not been able to repair. That's all right because I've made them fingerless for tropical water on my left hand, where I have my gopro on a light monkey goodman handle. It makes it more comfortable. They're the gloves I'm wearing in my profile picture.
Yep I know that one.

Fingerless gloves, or even just missing thumb and forefinger for buttons on flashlights etc, is an idea I will borrow, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom