Replacement for D4i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you want it to be a full time watch? A normal ‘puck’ sized computer which is just for diving will consume less power between dives and have a larger battery. Even a factory kit for one of those is only £10 while the battery alone might be £2 in a high street shop.

Meanwhile, the best way to reduce the cost/dive is to dive more :)

How about Aqualung i300C? Bluetooth compatible. While the plain i300(obsolete) is at least US$100.00 cheaper.
But it is not computer/watch combination.

No, I do not need a full-time watch. In that regard, the D4i was a mistake. It sits in a drawer when not diving.

The i300c. Looks good. After reading the specs, I failed to notice whether or not it is on all the time.(Watch mode.) Is it?

I'm waiting to hear from Subsurface as to whether or not BlueTooth works for downloading data to a Mac.

Your dive computers is using battery for almost 2 years, you have 67 dives and battery is drained. And you are complaining :) I would understand your complaints if you had 67 dives during 2 months and batter would be dead. But now..... change your battery and enjoy diving.

Your dive computers is using battery for almost 2 years, you have 67 dives and battery is drained. And you are complaining :) I would understand your complaints if you had 67 dives during 2 months and batter would be dead. But now..... change your battery and enjoy diving.

My wife's Zoop is four and half years old. has done just over 200 dives and is still on the original battery.

It's me again.

I continued on with the D4i. But, it already needs a new battery after 21 months and only 67 dives. (That means the battery costs about US$1.50 per dive.)

Any updates to the above recommendations? I'd like a computer that doesn't go through batteries so fast and/or has user replaceable batters. Also, I need a USB cable that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Compatibility with Subsurface is a must.

Price is less of an object than it was two years ago….

TIA

I'd go for the iDive Color: Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

http://www.ratio-computers.com/catalog/Ratio_Computer_iDive_Color.pdf

Here's the response from Subsurface (written by Linus Torvalds) on the i300c:

The i300c is supported, but nobody has actually tested it with BLE. It
might work, and it might not. The serial side hopefully does work (I
don't know how much testing it has gotten, but Jef clearly added the
basic support, so I assume it's ok).

If I had to guess, I would expect the i300c BLE to just work. Janice
McLaughlin reported that it had the exact same BLE handshake as the
i770R, which makes me strongly suspect it's using the same BLE model.

But without any actual testing, I can not guarantee anything.

Buy a secondhand Sherawater Petrel (gen 1)

Buy a secondhand Sherawater Petrel (gen 1)

Yeah, that looks really nice.

I should have mentioned that I live in rural Northeast Thailand, so getting anything is not that easy. Even the Aqua Lung distributor doesn't show the i300c as being available.

Back
Top Bottom