Replacement of buttons o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of getting myself a photography system in near future. I am currently using my friend's Canon S100 + meikon housing.

I am just wondering if the little orings for the buttons require replacement and maintenance such as cleaning and lunrication.

And how often do we need to lubricate or replace them?

For now, i lubricate the large oring before every dive trip.

Don't over-lubricate your main o-ring. It should be just slightly shiny. Over greasing causes dirt and hair to stick to the o-ring. You shouldn't have to mess with the button o-rings. If you soak the housing in clean water after each use to avoid salt build up they'll hold up long after the camera is outdated. If a button sticks, you can drip a bit of silicon spray from a toothpick into the hole surrounding the button sometimes. You have to be careful what you put on o-rings, though. Different companies use different types and silicon grease will soften silicon o-rings.

Using silicon spray can often be a bad idea for the same reason.

Many manufacturers recommend annual maintenance that would include replacing and greasing those orings. Ikelite sells the kit for their buttons as well, for example, so users can do it themselves.

Soaking in water is very important, a nice long soak and operating the buttons while in the water, to remove all the salt. I'm always shocked at how after what I feel was a long time, and lots of button presses, I still find a little salt residue dripping out and drying on the housing.

After 3 years and probably 150 dives, not all with the best care, my Ikelite housing now has relatively sticky buttons and I'll service it soon, but it's still usable. Button maintenance isn't that difficult.

my housing had some buttons that were sticky. I took them apart and mos of the time, it is the shaft that had residual built-up. I would just soak those shafts or scrub it with non abrasive scrubber to get the built-up off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom