Replacing 10 yr old regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Main diving I do is warm water Caribbean or Asia, travel by air, wanting light weight, probably upgrade to balance and venturi. I'm looking at the Hog regulators, any pros and cons out there? And can you recommend favorites bought in last few years? Features you like? Thanks.

Main diving I do is warm water Caribbean or Asia, travel by air, wanting light weight, probably upgrade to balance and venturi. I'm looking at the Hog regulators, any pros and cons out there? And can you recommend favorites bought in last few years? Features you like? Thanks.
Maybe you could tell us about what you do not like about your current regs? And why you are replacing them.

My wife and I have been diving our Sherwood Oasis regulators for over 15 years (I gave my first Oasis - bought in the mid 80's, to my son, but he doesn't dive at this time - but with a rebuild, I see no reason why he couldn't dive it now). With regularly scheduled maintenance, I expect ours to last for at least another 15 years, if not longer.

I agree with the question of what are you diving now, what don't you like, and why do they need to be replaced?

If you want lightweight for travel, have a look at the AquaLung Mikron or Apeks Flight. I know many with both who love them. Plus, there is worldwide coverage/service for both, which is a necessity when traveling.

I'm not so sure I would necessarily be chasing something new.... what are you currently diving, and why do you feel the need to change?

Okay, I'll pile on too because that was the first question that popped into my head when reading the OP. I've been diving my reg since 1998, IIRC. My excellent service tech has assured me that it should last me until I'm out of money or ability to dive at all, whichever shall first occur.

Maybe you could tell us about what you do not like about your current regs? And why you are replacing them.
My reg has been rebuilt but still has harder draw at depth. I am interested in the newer balanced regs with venturi and a swivel at the first stage so the reg comes with you when you turn your head.

My wife and I have been diving our Sherwood Oasis regulators for over 15 years (I gave my first Oasis - bought in the mid 80's, to my son, but he doesn't dive at this time - but with a rebuild, I see no reason why he couldn't dive it now). With regularly scheduled maintenance, I expect ours to last for at least another 15 years, if not longer.

I agree with the question of what are you diving now, what don't you like, and why do they need to be replaced?
My reg has been rebuilt but still has harder draw at depth. I am interested in the newer balanced regs with venturi and a swivel at the first stage so the reg comes with you when you turn your head.

10 years is nothing, I still dive my 46 year old Scubapro MK5/R109, great regulator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom