Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
You are welcome to 'like' that, but don't try to impose your beliefs on others, or someone else's business.

I have not tried to 'impose' my beliefs on anybody, you are welcome to do what you want within the confines of the law. I have merely tried to share my beliefs and the reasons behind them in an attempt to hopefully enlighten some others whom I 'believe' to be a bit selfish in their actions. You are welcome to feel differently and express your views as I am mine.

Hey guys - I saw this rusted piece of scrap down by the Keys. Do you think I could get one of those hands off with a hack saw, or would I need a cutting torch? It would look cool in my trophy case!
artcofdupwardsview.jpg

NadMat:
I have not tried to 'impose' my beliefs on anybody, you are welcome to do what you want within the confines of the law. I have merely tried to share my beliefs and the reasons behind them in an attempt to hopefully enlighten some others whom I 'believe' to be a bit selfish in their actions. You are welcome to feel differently and express your views as I am mine.
Bravo!
Some people seem to be lacking some basic common sense. Just because something happens where you are does not make it acceptable. The laws apply everywhere and are in place for a reason. I have seen many people take many things, and while I can be quite irratated about it, there is nothing wrong with it, so I simply move along, do what I can to promote a good positive example if others care to observe.
Some jackazz ripping out a sm/med/lg/huge piece of an artifical reef that I may someday wish to see when I dive the site is not promoting anything positive. However, there is nothing illegal about it, have a go, enjoy, set all the dishes from the Doria on your mantle piece you earned them. DO NOT however, be so inconsiderate to post to me that someone premeditately ripping out a consol of a protected ship is just fine in your book. you're entitled to your opinion, I simply can't understand how someone would post condoning illegal activity, regardless of the fact that it happens all over, and since it was gonna happen anyway that it is ok. Further, there is simply NO justification for the Capt lack of concern for the reef that he is making a living from. It was illegal and his is not only responsible for KNOWING that beforehand, but enforcing it on his boat. at the very LEAST he is responsible as a dive professional to mention to his customers that taking anything is not a good positive behavior. in this case however, he is accountable.
Soggy: this is no way was meant as an attack on you. quite the opposite, I respect that you state your opinion and can stand up and argue for your beliefs. :D

If it is illegal, it is illegal. I don't know if that's true or not, and I am not arguing on that basis. There are a lot of stupid laws in the world that we all have to follow or face the consequences if we get caught. When I speed I know I am speeding and don't try to make excuses (ok, I'll go to the hearing and try to get it reduced) and I pay my fine because I knew I was breaking the law and knew the consequences. There is also a difference between 'spirit of the law' and 'letter of the law.' Who 'owns' this thing? Is it Pensacola? The state of Florida? It's certainly not the Navy...they decomissioned it. It's not the "Oriskany," it's the "Ex-Oriskany." Would anyone actually prosecute a diver who brought up a piece of something that the state found so valuable as to strip and sink in 240 fsw?! I think it would be a tough sell.... :D

Regardless, you all are getting your panties all bent out of shape over something that, in the grand (or even small) scheme of things is completely irrelevent. That ship, in the not so distance future, will be a twisted piece of metal on the bottom whether you like it or not. If a few extra missing pieces of the millions of pieces that were already removed ruins your diving experience on the wreck, I think you are missing the point of diving an aircraft carrier.

mike_s:
This brings another interesting question....

How much "removing of items" has happened upon the Speigel Grove since it was sunk a few years ago?

Who cares? :wink:

I bet the hurricane that righted it removed a few items on its own :)

trigfunctions:
Hey guys - I saw this rusted piece of scrap down by the Keys. Do you think I could get one of those hands off with a hack saw, or would I need a cutting torch? It would look cool in my trophy case!

We can certainly ask Mr. Sleppy. By the way, do you want the left of right hand?

Soggy:
If it is illegal, it is illegal. I don't know if that's true or not, and I am not arguing on that basis. There are a lot of stupid laws in the world that we all have to follow or face the consequences if we get caught. When I speed I know I am speeding and don't try to make excuses (ok, I'll go to the hearing and try to get it reduced) and I pay my fine because I knew I was breaking the law and knew the consequences. There is also a difference between 'spirit of the law' and 'letter of the law.' Who 'owns' this thing? Is it Pensacola? The state of Florida? It's certainly not the Navy...they decomissioned it. It's not the "Oriskany," it's the "Ex-Oriskany." Would anyone actually prosecute a diver who brought up a piece of something that the state found so valuable as to strip and sink in 240 fsw?! I think it would be a tough sell.... :D

Check the other thread. The ownership has been fully established, and the owner does indeed care.

boulderjohn:
Check the other thread. The ownership has been fully established, and the owner does indeed care.

I guess I don't care enough to read thru 33 pages of thread. It's on the bottom of the ocean in international waters, so I don't know how a State agency can say they still own it, but I'm not a lawyer, nor do I really care about the intricacies of the law in this matter. I don't take stuff off of wrecks myself because I don't care to.

If it is against the law, it was dumb to take something and even dumberer to talk about it in a public forum. Actually, it was dumb to take something anyhow...it's a fricken artificial wreck! That doesn't make it wrong, though...it just makes it against the law and punishable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom