Report - Mahahual, Chinchorro, Xcalak, and Sian Ka'an

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef Tank

Contributor
Reaction score
Until recently Mahahual was a very small community consisting mostly of fisherman. In 1998 a cruise ship pier was built a couple miles north of town. Now the town and port area has a population of about six hundred. The Costa Maya port and the town of Mahahual should not be confused even though the cruise industry sometimes borrows the town’s name and calls the port New Mahahual. Ten thousand pod people may be in port but few venture out of the artificial Mayan theme park. The few day visitors desperate for a local vibe roll through town on golf carts, dune buggies, bicycles, and buses. The town and strangers seem to oddly occupy similar space-time but not the same dimension. Images from Mimsy Were the Borogroves come to mind. The visitors are kind of cute all huddled together for safety waiting for snorkeling class or for plastic kayaks, or standing on the reef while fly fishing. A few miles west of the port is a parking lot with a couple dozen coach busses that send cruisers to remote adventure.

People from all over the world have made Mahahual their home, but it is still very easy to find yourself in a situation where English is not spoken. The ability to speak Spanish will add to your comfort and enjoyment. There are only a couple small shops that target the tourist, like the gelato seller offering product at three dollars a scoop.

Medical facilities are a couple hours away. The ATM is at the Pemex a few miles west of town and available if the power does not fail.

The Maya Luna hotel has four fairly new concrete beach front cabanas with screen for windows and that perfect Caribbean ocean view fully complete with sounds and smells passing through day and night. The bed and pillows were very firm, the staff helpful, grounds well kept, kitchen excellent, and the margaritas strong. The roof terrace where light pollution is almost unknown is perfect for seeing Where the Sky Begins. Being a few miles south of town made for restful and quiet lodging during the activities leading up to Fat Tuesday, which was held on Friday due to the sharing of paraphernalia with other villages. Many of the lodgings outside of town are off-grid and visitors may want to mentally prepare for an ecological stay. Any of the hotels in town would provide good service if your expectations are appropriate.

Much of the coast from Punta Herrero to Xcalak has breakers about a thousand feet from shore. Inside the reef the snorkeling is excellent. By Punta Herrero I saw many large hard coral in the lagoon with tissue that was healthy within inches of the surface.

The dive master at Zona de Buceo (a.k.a. Dive Zone) is the most professional I have had. Jorge gave undivided attention to his clients and had an uncanny ability to see their needs. The shop is in town, easy to find, and will rinse and store gear. Divers who are able to assemble their own gear, exit and re-enter small boats in rough open water will greatly enjoy diving the pristine sites along the coast. There is a dive operation in Mahahual with the cruise ship contract. Any of the half dozen dive operations in Mahahual can probably provide good service; a few even have their own boats.

The coral at Mahahual is the most impressive I have seen. The structures are often dramatic white sand chutes sided by tall walls encrusted with large hard coral that is healthy from the sand often to the water surface. From my small sampling it appears the topography is generally steeply sloping.

We made the trip to Chinchorro for two dives. The east wind was quite strong which made the trip over a long two and one-half hours. Diving at Chinchorro has been described as like Mahahual only everything is larger. The visibility was not great, probably because of the weather. The surface interval was spent on Cayo Centro at the park ranger station watching crocodile in the lagoon.

At Xcalak we used a fishing boat and dive guide to make two dives, La Chimenea and La Poza (Tarpon Hole). The first dive was supposed to be a swim-through and exiting a chimney but the guide missed the entrance. The coral along the wall did not seem healthy. La Poza, our second dive, has been referred to as a destination dive. We entered at the top of a chute in ten feet of water, descended to about sixty feet, left the chute and immediately entered the current. Following the sloping wall we were able to duck into crevasses and gently glide through schools of large Tarpon and Jacks. We saw many rays, both Spotted Eagle and Southern. The current took us through a trench to a most impressive pillar.

When heading out of the lagoon for the first dive the waves were high enough to top the bow twice. During one of the dousings the outboard motor quit. I’m convinced that if the skipper had not been able to restart the motor and keep the boat straight the minnow would be lost. Many times we hit the wave trough hard. When the boat returned through the cut it was like surfing. My next purchase will be a Dive Alert signal horn.

At Bacalar, on hwy 307, you may want to pull over at Cenote Azul. If you have your own tanks and gear you can dive for free from the side of the restaurant.

More info about Xcalak diving: XTC DIVE CENTER | Recreational Scuba Diving in Xcalak, Costa Maya Mexico

Another option for a perfect vacation would be to stay about forty minutes north of Mahahual at the Mayan Beach Garden. The owners are absolutely wonderful, gracious people. Arrange through them to coordinate diving with one of the original dive masters in the community. She has two small boats, tanks, weights, and a compressor.

Expect when diving the southern coast of the Mexican Caribbean yours may be the only dive boat in sight. Diving some of the sites require purchasing a park wrist band that the operator will provide. Those seeking the most remote adventure might take their gear north about three hours into the Sian Ka’an.

If you have ventured north into the Sian Ka’an you may want to take a few hours (and deet) to stop and watch the wildlife. The only traffic on the sand road will be a few fisherman from Punta Herrero, a military patrol, a fly fisherman, and bird watcher. There are very few that have dwellings along the shore.

I have read posts on Scubaboard that try to describe the difference between “diving resorts” and “resorts with diving.” Diving the southern coast may lean more toward “diving adventure.” I predict that within a few years the Mahahual area will become heavily traveled by divers.

One disheartening revelation this trip provided was the huge amount of garbage generated by man and dumped into the ocean. We visited remote areas where the garbage is not collected like it is in the resort areas and we saw the piles washing up on shore.

The closest international airport is at Cancun. If you are not disposed toward renting a car and driving the 4+ hours south, there are scheduled bus routes from the ADO stations in Cancun and Playa del Carmen to Mahahual. Travel time on the bus from Cancun is about six hours. If you find yourself in Chetumal, the Caribe bus has a route to Mahahual and perhaps on down to Xcalak.

Mahahual? Wear the fox hat

Last edited:
Very interesting report. Maybe some trip when we can be there more than a week, we should head a bit south and see what's up.

Attachments

• tarpon_hole.jpg
    tarpon_hole.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 373
  • tarpon_hole1.jpg
    tarpon_hole1.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 139
  • tarpon_hole2.jpg
    tarpon_hole2.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 134
  • zona.jpg
    zona.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 129
  • zona1.jpg
    zona1.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 139
  • azul.jpg
    azul.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 386
  • black_coral.jpg
    black_coral.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 207
  • breakers.jpg
    breakers.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 203
  • chacchoben.jpg
    chacchoben.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 132
  • chinchorro_1.jpg
    chinchorro_1.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 124
  • angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
Gosh, a bit cynical and maybe not very well informed in some things.

Mahahual, yes a bit of a cruise ship slum but a couple of decent places to visit, and I must include the gelato shop, which is run by a really nice American serving good food at reasonable prices and amazing ice cream, especially if you are just off the 2 hour bus journey from Xcalak.

There is a doctor available in Mahahual.

Several ATM's in the locality, although not all have cash all the time.

Check that they reset the pumps at the Pemex station, before you fill up, some of these chaps are less than fastidious!

I've made two trips to Xcalak, got married there on the beach last time, and found it to be an amazing place with incredibly friendly people fantastic food and superb diving.

Xcalak is right off the beaten track and this should always be borne in mind, there is not much air conditioning or even electricity and there can be a lot of mosquitos, only a couple of very basic shops and a lot of dust.

There is quite a range of accommodation available from a couple of clean but basic rooms above Melchor's store to nudist friendly luxury on the beach.

I don't really want to make it sound like paradise but in a lot of ways it is, my wife spent 6 months there doing her DM and working for XTC and there was great sadness when we left for our honeymoon, diving in Playa and Cozumel and back to not so hot and sunny Scotland.

You can get the bus to Xcalak twice a day from Mahahual, Caribe, it originates in Chetumal, and ADO buses run from Playa Del Carmen via Tulum, great cave diving with Cave Heaven, to Mahahual a couple of times a day.

We will be back to the Costa Maya.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0004_8.jpg
    IMG_0004_8.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0015_9.jpg
    IMG_0015_9.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0028_5.jpg
    IMG_0028_5.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 107
Did Xcalak a few years ago and thought it was a great experience and I'm glad I did it. There are only few restaurants to chose from (Leaky Palapa which you cannot miss) and the diving was good. My wife and I were the only ones on the boat for the week. Some very nice dive sites with swim thru's and a lot of interesting formations. Not much diving pressure. But getting there is a PITA!! 5+ hours from Cancun and you don't want to drive after dark into the Xcalak area (as the locals warn you). You must get any provisions before you get to Xcalak as there are none there. If you can get through those items it is a great trip. The locals and the ex-pats are fantastic. I could move there and get lost in the laziness if the logistics were better. Very laid back.

But getting there is a PITA!! 5+ hours from Cancun and you don't want to drive after dark into the Xcalak area (as the locals warn you).

Yeah, we had a blowout in the middle of nowhere late one night. The tire repair guy said we might have hit a conch shell.

OUCH!! and with all the BUGS at night. Not fun

and you don't want to drive after dark into the Xcalak area (as the locals warn you). .

And don't forget the military checkpoints. It was about 2 A.M. when we saw a white strobe ahead. Fortunately we slowed to see what it was.:m16:

In spite of it all we will return, we have a vested interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom