req. Cobalt 2 firmware with optional deep-stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Ron & everyone,
I am getting consistent criticism for increasing TTS and saturation of my fellow divers as I make the 1min stop at 21m, a.k.a. microbubble or pyle-stop. I cannot find in menus any option to turn off these stops, which have become advised against by PADI since 2019.
Is there a new firmware that would allow this, even if it is just 'hardwired in' ?

What happens if you just ignore the deep-stop notice and keep ascending? It appears from the manual to be recommended, not mandatory, like the safety stop. Even deco-stop violations do not appear to lock out the computer.

Indeed, Tursiops, the computer does not lock out, but it goes into full-blown violation mode, with the orange "seek medical attention" banner, as if I had got out of a non-microbubble proper and critical shallow deco stop. I would much rather get a penalty on shallower stops or even complete ignore, as for the safety stop.

The Cobalt includes two algorithms. The "folded" RGBM covers shallower dives and has safety stops near the surface (±3m) that can be ignored with no repercussions. In deco, this algorithm can also incorporate a half max depth/ Pyle stop, depending on the max depth reached and the ascent profile generated. Atomic, in conjunction with the algorithm designer, decide that they would treat this stop as a deco stop, so violating it would create the same alerts and flags as a missed deco stop. This was a decision made by Atomic based on their understanding at the time, and you are correct in that there is no provision in the firmware to disable this stop. There is no lock out, so if you page through the alerts, the Cobalt will continue to work and calculate normally, albeit displaying a warning.
If your max depth is deeper than about 150' / 45m the "fully iterative" RGBM algorithm takes over, and you will see an ascent profile that typically has short stops every few meters.
From what you say, I'm not 100% sure which scenario fits your dives, but I"m guessing the folded algorithm if you are seeing something that looks like a Pyle stop.

We are no longer associated with Atomic / Huish and they pulled the plug on Cobalt, so updates to the Cobalt's firmware are no longer happening. If they were, we would certainly recommend modifying this feature to be at minimum optional, or eliminate it altogether. But we are/ were not the algorithm designers, so it would not ultimately be our call.

In our future independent products, we do not incorporate this stop, and also provide the option of switching between RGBM and a Haldane algorithm.

Sorry I don't have a better solution.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom